Friday, October 20, 2006

Hard Core?

The alarm went off at 4:45 this morning and I hit snooze. I hate snooze and rarely use it but I was just so darn tired this morning I just couldn’t get up yet. I finally got up, got dressed and noticed that we lacked water pressure while brushing my teeth. I got outside to discover it was cold and misty. Ugg, should I run or go back to bed. Run!! When I did become so hardcore? I went back inside and changed from shorts and my new shoes into my cool gear pants and older shoes. Back outside I started my run. Tempo run was on tap for today. The plan called for 1 mile warm up, 4 miles at MT, and 1 mile cool down. I told myself before I started that the faster I ran the sooner I could get out of this cool, wet weather. As I ran I noticed that some of the ditches were really full and flowing pretty fast. Hmm low water pressure and water flowing in the ditches…must be a busted water main nearby. I finished the 1 mile warm up in 9:37. I picked up the pace and thought about Phil’s comment about my pace being faster while the dog was chasing me Wednesday so I headed over to Amberwood. It was starting to be more of a sprinkle then a mist. None of the dogs were out so it was just up to me and my desire to get out of the rain to hold my pace. My 4 tempo miles were done in 8:34, 8:44, 8:44 and 8:23. Then the cool down 1.21 miles in 12:42. I went the extra .21 because that is how far I was from home and didn’t feel like walking in the rain.
I got home and got to enjoy a hot shower in a small trickle of water.
When I got to the school, I was told that they had no water and therefore school was closed. Great. I called work and told them I was coming by to see if there was anything I could do at home. By the time I got there my boss had rounded me up some stuff to take home.
The forecast for tomorrow is still looking good and I just hope these weathermen know what they are talking about. I have no desire to ride 102.4 miles in this weather.
Well, better get started on that work I brought home.

4 comments:

jen said...

Excellent pace on your Tempo run Michele! Nice work. I hope the weather is nice for your ride tomorrow. Have fun!

Phil said...

Great tempo run Michele; even without the dogs chasing you. Didn't you just do a 20 miler two days ago? Great splits. Very impressive that you sped up and did your best mile on the last sectiopn. Shows you probably had a little more to give on the middle two. You might want to try a 2 mile warm up next time. I realize that you're a lot younger than me, but I find it a lot easier to run a tempo if I warm up for two miles first. Another trick I use is to stop after the warm up and treat the tempo part as if it were a seperate event. Helps to get me focused on the real workout.

MNFirefly said...

Not job on the run today. Hoorary for the water leak!

Anonymous said...

Hard Core to the bone! Great job and good luck on the ride.