Monday, November 27, 2006

Last Speed Workout

This morning I got up at 6:00 for my LAST speed workout. The plan called for

10-20 minute warm-up
6 x 400 (400m RI)
10 minute cool-down

Once again being the lazy person that I am, I just used my programmed Garmin to run in the neighborhood vs. driving to the track. It was cold again this morning. I ran 1.85 mile warm-up in 18:42. I stopped at my mailbox and grabbed a drink of water and then did a 400m RI in 3:57. The first 400 I ran in 1:45. I almost threw up after I finished it so decided that it was too fast. I walked the 400 RI for 4:15. The reminder 400s went like this
400 1:48
RI 3:43
400 1:47
RI 3:47
400 1:48
RI 3:35
400 1:50
RI 3:42
4001:48
RI 2:56
Cool-down 0.89 miles in 8:51
Average heart rate of 145 bpm.

I don’t know what I was thinking waiting until 6:00 to run because I got home just in time to rush the kids out the door to school. I then came home to shower. After cleaning up, I went back to the school to help decorate for the 2nd grade parent lunch.

Weather forecast in Memphis for Saturday is not looking good. After enjoying 70 degree temps there last weekend, it is upsetting to have to think about running in freezing temps this weekend. Dawn refused to stop at a sporting goods store Friday while we were shopping because she was too tired and hungry, so now I don’t have my cold gear that I wanted to buy. She has offered to go and get us both some cold gear (she is running the 5k and going to be waiting around on me for a LONG time). Is it safe to wear it new for the first time for 26.2 miles?????

My buddy Chris is going to be waiting on me on North Parkway to run my final miles with me and push me to the finish. Diane also said she is going to come down and cheer me on, but she wasn’t sure at what mile marker she would be. Dawn and her son are running the 5K so will be near the finish. Anyone else coming down??? I NEED anyone and everyone willing to help me out. What about other bloggers, anyone going to be in Memphis?

3 comments:

Kate said...

Oh no! I think new gear would be better than freezing, but it's always a risk!

Rae said...

I wouldn't worry about wearing new stuff. You're a pro at this by now and you'll know whether or not something feels right when you try it on. They're so wrong with all their forecasts that Sat will probably be perfect!

Trisaratops said...

Hey, if I'm not going to be there, the weather will be GREAT for you! I have this knack lately of making it pour and be less than 50 degrees...or 40, too! :) So I will stay far away for ya.

My buddy Sarah is running the half there--I'll send you good vibes with her! She just had a baby 4 months ago--what a rock star!

Hope it is FUN!