Thursday, August 20, 2009

Marathon Training Gets Started

Marathon training started Monday and I am paying the price for a lazy summer. Sure I ran, but it was all slowly. I haven’t done speed work or tempo runs since the end of April.
So Monday morning, I got up at 4:30 with my Garmin all programmed for 3 x1600. I did the 10 minute warm up then started on the first 1600. I didn’t even bother looking at or programming my goal pace. There wasn’t a chance I was going to hit it. And I didn’t. I finished the 1600s and did the 10 minute cool down (jog by that point).
Then Monday evening I went to swim class only to find out it was more speed work. A T30. YUCK. My last T30 was at the end of March right before the New Orleans 70.3. Back then I wasn’t skipping swim class and I was pushing myself harder. At that T30 I swam 1650 yards. Monday I swam 1575. So no more skipping swim class.
Tuesday was cross training day. I rode my bike while Casey was at gymnastics. Nothing hard, nothing fast.
Wednesday was tempo run day. 2 easy, 2 at short tempo pace, and 2 easy. This time I looked at my goal pace and laughed. No way. I did the 2 easy and then picked it up. Problem was picking it up also kicked up the urge to potty. I did my best to make it home, potty, then finish out the run. I ended up with paces closer to my long tempo pace.
Wednesday evening was swim class. I really wanted to skip but kept my promise and went. Once there I was glad I did. We had a great work out and banked 3000 yards.
Today is rest day.
Tomorrow is the first long run. 13 miles at PMP (planning marathon pace) + 30 seconds. The problem there is I don’t know what my goal for Vegas is anymore. I had hoped to Boston Qualify so I could run Boston in 2010 but now I have different plans for 2010. So my Vegas goal is yet to be determined and tomorrow’s run will just be whatever it is.

5 comments:

Missy said...

OUCH, the unexpected T30, that blows. Other plans for 2010??? What am I missing?

Unknown said...

I've decided that while I'm going to train to run Vegas in 4:10, I'm going to actually run the marathon much slower. Vegas is just for fun for me. If you're not planning to use it to BQ you should not stress over it and do it for fun too!

david said...

If not Boston in 2010, what?

Anonymous said...

The yellow is so hard on the eyes and hard to read.

Jill Ann said...

You can always come share a room with me in Huntsville on 12/12 and try to BQ there. I just hired a coach...gotta check this one off in 2010.