Friday, May 08, 2009

The Break

At about mile 25 of Sunday's race I made a promise to my body. I will take a break.
I have been pushing and pushing with very little recovery time.
So I haven taken everything off my race calender except a sprint distance tri in McMinnville in August and the Vegas marathon in December. Both of those races are already paid for. My goal is to BQ in Vegas.
Until then, I am taking a step back. There will be no training program and there will be No racing.
I hope I can do this, I don't operate well without a schedule. I get in a rut easily.
It is also going to be very hard for me to not race. I love racing. Tri season is just starting and I won't be out there doing what I love to do. Pouring it all out on the course, pushing my body as hard as it will let me, the feeling of accomplishment crossing that finish line, the pride of a new PR...
But I am going to keep the promise I made to my body Sunday and give it a break.
And I have done good this week. Of course part of that was simply because I couldn't walk so was forced to rest.
Monday and Wednesday I did swim class.
Thursday I "ran" 3 miles. It was very slow but made my legs feel 100% better.
Today I went to the Rec Center and did a 12 minute warm up on the arc climber followed by chest and back weights and some abs.
I don't know what I will do this weekend. Part of it depends on the weather, which has been quite gloomy lately, and part depends on how I feel.

5 comments:

david said...

Just because you are not "racing" doesn't mean you can't "run" the Moon Pie or "ride" the Harpeth River ride, or does it?

Missy said...

I'm only planning some smallish local stuff and one half in NOVEMBER (laaate). I'm just making that my HUGE goal for this year, beach2battleship. Working on my speed!

Jill Ann said...

I understand you need a break. Good for you!! And, I also understand about Vegas already paid for...we can still train together and push each other after your break.

And, I am with David. Doesn't mean you have to just stop. Would love for you to come to the Harpeth ride and ride slow with me...or hang out at the Moon Pie..ya know??

jen said...

You most definitely deserve a break, enjoy it. Get out and volunteer or cheer at the races but enjoy your time "off." I find the running, biking, and swimming to be so much more enjoyable when I"m not training for anything. Sounds like it will be a great summer for you. :)

monicac2 said...

You're amazing - so inspirational in so many ways! I think you're smart to give your body a break. I'm certain that a BQ is in your future.