Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Flying Pig Marathon

It was pouring rain here Saturday morning so I ended up leaving for Cincinnati a little earlier then I originally planned in case the rain delayed me. The drive was easy and I arrived at about 1:00. I checked into my hotel and walked over to the expo. David had already picked my packet up for me but I wanted to check out the expo.
The expo was good. They had posters set up with descriptions and pictures of each mile of the marathon.
After the expo I meet up with David and Gayle. We drove the course to get a real idea of the hills, went shopping, and out for pasta.
I got up Sunday morning at 4:15. I ate breakfast and got dressed. Then I met David and Jeff in the lobby. We walked over to the start in the rain. Jeff forgot his timing chip and decided to try to rush back to the hotel and get it while David and I found a little dry spot under a tiny tree to sit in.
At about 6:15, David and I found the 3:50 group. It was a large group and I couldn't get close enough to say anything to E-Speed.

The gun sounded and the race was on. The first mile was slow due to the crowd. David and I were in the back of the 3:50 group but kept the sign in sight. My Garmin hasn't been holding a charge so I went with my watch and depended on David to keep us in check. The 3:50 sign kept getting father and father ahead and I was getting nervous but David told me his Garmin had us at an overall pace of 8:47, exactly where we needed to be.
Since we had driven the course, we knew what to expect. It didn't make that LONG hill at 6 any easier bt at least we knew we would be climbing for a mile.
The downhills didn't seem signifiate but my quads were feeling them. We were still holding pace.
I took a gu at 5 and 10. At 15 I couldn't get it down. I was sick of sweet and wanted some pretzels. My stomach was hurting. I needed to potty but didn't want to take the time. I tried some Twizzlers someone was handing out but couldn't get those down either. All I could think about was pretzels.
Just past 18 David said "Go get your BQ. I'll see ya at the finish". Then he slowed down. We had picked up another girl just before David dropped off, so I ran with her.
We got to 20 and a BQ was very questionable at that point but a PR was still very much in reach. My stomach was feeling worse.
At 21 I walked through the water stop and checked the port-a-potties. They were all full and I didn't want to wait in line. Because I walked, I lost my running partner and was on my own.
Mile 22 I HAD to stop at the port-a-potty. My stomach felt a lot better after the stop but my legs were worse.
I ran most of 22 and 23 but by 24 it hurt so much to run I had to walk. I wanted so bad to run but it was just so painful. My quads were killing me. My calfs felt great thanks to my super sexy compression socks.
I finally saw the finish swine and managed some semblance of running to get across it.

4:05:05, not a BQ, not a PR, not even sub 4. total bust!!!

I collected my metal, blanket, water bottles and finally some chips and Cheese Its. I wondered out of the recovery area and found a curb to sit on. I had to ask a stranger to help me down to the ground where I sat and waited for David.
I found David and Gayle at the same time and we walked back to the hotel.
I showered, packed up, then made the 5 hour drive home.

8 comments:

jen said...

Congratulations on the finish Michele!! Way to tough out those last miles and pull off a very respectable time. You may have missed your goal, but it was a solid race. You are an amazingly strong athelte. Well done!

Marci said...

Congrats on a solid finish and a great 26.2! Way to go!

Lisa said...

Those compression socks & sleeves are a little slice of heaven aren't they?! :)

COTY said...

nice recap. Congrats on the finish

Missy said...

Cograts on the finish! Sorry about BQ and PR. You still looked pretty happy about it!

Trisaratops said...

Another one in the books--congratulations! I know it wasn't what you hoped for, but you still toughed it out and finished in a good time. You WILL get that BQ. I just know it.

Old Man said...

those hills were tough! and they never let up. calf sleeves were great for my recovery. sorry your stomach issues busted your effort.

Marathon Maritza said...

Way to show determination in the end there! Those are the toughest parts of marathons and you hung tough! I know you missed your goal, but it was still a great finish!