Monday, September 07, 2009

Star Triathlon Race Report

I love this race. It is in my hometown and Leslie does a great job.
This year, since I am not in iron training, I drove the less then 5 miles to the race. I got a great rack position and picked up my stuff.
I tried to take some pictures only to discover I had a dead battery.

The swim is in the indoor pool and it is VERY warm in there. But it was pretty cool outside. So when it was time for us to line up for the swim start they did it inside.
I used the time from swim class where we had done some 200 sprints to estimate my swim time. I put in 3:45 and was number 130.
My turn came to enter the water and my race started. I passed one person in the water. My swim coach was there and I was thinking about all the things she was going to tell me I did wrong.
200 yard swim 3:44
I pulled myself out of the pool and ran into T1. helmet, shoes, sunglasses, bike and outta there.
T1 0:49
My foot slipped trying to get on my bike so I had a guy pass me leaving T1. I quickly passed him right back. We made the turn through town and got out on the highway, then he passed me again. Grrrr...I did not want to play leap frog again this week. Turns out that wasn't a problem since I couldn't catch him again after that. I did, however, pass quite a few others. I made the turn around and headed back. My bike computer isn't working but I knew that I wasn't going fast enough. I tried to push harder but my legs just didn't have it in them.
I made the final turns in town and made it to the dismount line.
14 mile bike 42:22
I GENTLY put my bike on the rack, changed shoes, helmet for hat, grabbed my bid and left.
T2 0:38
As I started the run, Monica asks "How's the ankle?" I answered "It hurts." I just tried not to think about it or whatever it was that was in my other shoe. I focused on the person ahead of me and tried to catch them. Then the next and the next. At about one mile I could see a shadow coming up on me from behind. I picked up the pace a little but he still caught me. We ran together to the turn around and right back to where he caught me. Then he was gone. I returned to my game of catching the person in front of me. I ran over the bridge and through the greenway to the parking lot and the finish line.
3 mile run 23:45
total 1:11:15
I saw Mary Jane starting her run and cheered her on. She is a 62 year old cancer survivor who was doing her first triathlon. When she crossed the finish line it brought tears to my eyes. She is a spectacular lady who I admire greatly.
Results were posts and Roz told me I got 3rd overall female.
After collecting my medal, I went home to check on Ronnie. Hard to complain about a sore swollen ankle when he is looking like mummy boy and can't even use the right side of his body.
I did enjoy some recovery time by the pool.

3 comments:

david said...

Congrats on the race.... Is that your Kindle I spy in the picture?

Unknown said...

Well done! Heal fast!

Jill Ann said...

Oh...what is wrong with your ankle? And what in the heck happened to mummy man??