Friday, September 25, 2009

Issues

I have been having some issues with my runs lately. I got hit with the three biggest this morning for my long run.
The first I have already talked about...humidity. When I went to bed last night it was raining so I knew I was in for a humid, if not wet, run this morning. When I got up at 3am, I was glad to not hear any rain. But I found out that there was a slight drizzle as soon as I walked out the door. It didn't last long and I was left with pea soup type air to run through. I did get rained on one more time during the run but it was short lived too. The humidity stuck the whole time.
Another problem I have been having while running is GI issues. It doesn't matter when or what I do or don't eat, about 2 miles into the run I feel that rumble in my stomach. On a six mile tempo run it usually isn't a problem. Can't say I haven't had to stop a run before but usually I can suck it up and finish. A long run is a different story. This morning I didn't get that rumble and thought I was out of the woods. But then at about 7 miles it hit me HARD!!! I was running along the highway and there as a steady stream of traffic (yes at 4:30ish in the morning) so I couldn't see far enough off the shoulder to determine if there was a good stopping place. One more rumble and stopping was required. Lucky for me the traffic let up and I could make out a tree line. I stopped Garmin and rushed down the hill. GI issues resolved I continued on.
I turned around at 9.5 miles (in case Garmin made my return trip longer)and realized that I was running low on water. A problem I have had on every long run. I had on my fuel belt with 3 bottles and I had only 1 left. I had passed a few gas stations on the way out that were closed. I prayed that they would be open. The first one was on the scary side. I skipped it but was happy to see that it was open figuring that would mean the bigger, safer station would be open too. I got to the second station about 14 miles. I stopped Garmin again while I ran into the bathroom and refilled my water bottles (next time I need to remember to bring money). I chugged down one bottle and refilled it again before leaving. Oh I also peed since I was there and there was an actual toilet.
When I left the gas station was when it deceided to rain. But, like it said, it was short lived.
I finished the run with no more issues, other then just being plain SLOW. 20 miles at a 10:08 pace.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Well, the good news is that it isn't humid at all in Vegas and they will have plenty of porta-potties ;-)

I have the same problem so I just get up early and drink coffee until the problem is "resolved."