Sunday, December 02, 2007

Final Countdown

Yesterday was my final long run before the marathon. 12 miles.
Ronnie golfed so it was after 3 before I got to run.
Lana had run hers earlier in the day and set the bar high with a 9:02 overall pace.
I started slow with the first mile in 9:31. I knew then that I wouldn't be touching Lana pace.
It was warm but windy.
I listened to Steve Runner's podcast about his latest marathon. I was heart broke, along with Steve, when he just missed his sub 4 goal. I know that feeling!
I finished my 12 in 1:50:40, 9:13 pace.

Good news...The forecast for Saturday in Huntsville has improved:
I am sure it will still change several more times but so far this one is the best I have seen.

Like Trimama, I am a holiday separatist. Thanksgiving comes AFTER Halloween and Christmas Season doesn't start until Black Friday. At my house we have to make things even a little more complicated by throwing in our anniversary and 2 birthdays. I have trained my family well. Birthday gifts come in birthday paper, unless it is a REALLY big gift there are no combo deals, and there must be a separate celebration for the birthday.
So my dad (being well trained after many years) called yesterday and wanted to know if I could bring the kids and meet him at Toys R Us in M'boro today so that my son could pick out his birthday present. He did the same thing back in July for my daughter. My son had a great time picking out Lego's.


My dad had already told me he was going to get me the HED H3 wheels I want for my birthday. Then the other night Ronnie told me that instead of wheels I should just take the money and use it toward a new bike that he would get me for my birthday/Christmas (I think that is big enough to combo).
So I email my dad with the idea. Then I started to feel guilty. We really don't need to spend that kind of money for a new bike right now. So I emailed my dad back and told him forget it, I just wanted the wheels.
Well...today my dad asked me what I was going to do about the bike/wheel deal. I told him I was unsure. I want a new bike and hope to get one someday, I just never thought Ronnie would support the idea. The problem with the wheels is they would be 650s and any new bike I get would most likely have 700s. So getting wheels says I am keeping my bike. Am I ready to make that commitment?
Then we took the kids to see Santa. I know that is not a birthday stuff, but we were in the big city so killed two birds.
While the kids were telling Santa what good kids they were, my dad wrote me a check.
I am officially shopping for new bike!!!! Happy early birthday to me!!
And just maybe, I can sell my QR kilo and use that money toward a set of HED H3's for my anniversary/birthday/Christmas combo from my husband.

15 comments:

Benson said...

Happy early birthday. You are so lucky to have such a great dad. can't wait to see the new bike.

Joe said...

What a great, generous Dad!!!

Enjoy your week...let's hope the weather forecast holds!!

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wes said...

Hooray! Any improvement in the weather prediction is a positive for me :-) So I go from drooling over those HED3 wheels to hearing about shopping for a new bike. Suweeeeeet :-) It don't get any better than that!!

Lisa said...

Let us know when the old bike is "officially" up for sale. :)

Joe said...

> I finished my 12 in 1:50:40,
> 9:13 pace.

Sweet! Good luck in the big race.

tri-mama said...

Have a great race next weekend! A bike is definitely worth a holiday blend- after all you can't really help when you were born. Happy birthmas shopping!

IronTriTim said...

Good luck with the race. A new bike in the new year sales it is then!

E-Speed said...

bike shopping is the kind of shopping I could probably get behind :)

Good luck this weekend! You two are going to rock it! Just don't go out too fast and you will have it made. I hope there is a good 4 hour pacer for you gals. Sorry I can't be there!

Lance Notstrong said...

Good choice. You can always get more new bike at once than you can piece by piece. I learned that by trying to buy a frame and build it up with components. It was actually cheaper to buy the entire bike (same exact frame) with Dura-Ace components than it was to build it up using Ultegra components.

Phil said...

Best of luck staying calm over the next couple of days. You are in great shape and will really rock this weekend.

ShirleyPerly said...

Good luck at Huntsville, Michelle!!

Found your blog via Petra's and see that you're also a triathlete too -- cool! My husband has HED-3's on his Cervelo and I have to work hard to keep up with him (they don't have them in 650's, unfortunately). Happy early Birthday to you!

MNFirefly said...

Wow! That's awesome!

Janet Edwards said...

Best of luck on your marathon!! The weather looks perfect!!!

Sounds like you got a nice birthday / xmas coming...LUCKY!!

Rae said...

Good luck this weekend! You're going to do GREAT!