Sunday, March 16, 2008

Tom King Half Marathon

When the alarm went off, I laid in bed and listened.
Nothing but silence. Yippee!!!
I was still holding on to some hope that the forecast of 100% chance of rain was wrong.
I got up, ate, got dressed, and headed to Nashville.
My house is 3 miles from the interstate. I didn't even make it to the interstate before it started raining. So much for my hope.
It rained off and on for my entire trip and there was even some lightening.
I got to LP Field about 6:55. I ran in to pick up my packet and asked if the races would be starting on time. They said yes that the lightening wasn't close enough.
I went back to my car and waited. I had forgot to bring a garbage bag but found a windbreaker type pull over in the back seat. It did help keep me a little dryer.
I met up with David and his daughter.
We made one last trip to the restroom then went to the start line.
It was still raining. I have never minded running in the rain, I just hate starting a run in the rain. We didn't have to stand around waiting for long, the gun went of right on time at 8:00. We wished Amy luck and were off.
A PR for me required an 8:30 pace. I didn't know if I could run a PR race in this weather but I was giving it a try.
David and I talked and ran. We kept an eye on our pace and the miles just ticked off. It continued to rain. We avoid the puddles that we could and trudged through the ones we couldn't. Didn't matter too much since we were already soaked.
I pulled off the windbreaker just after the halfway point. It was starting to get heavy.
The rain lessened some but still continued to fall.
About mile 11 I really started feeling the pace but said nothing. David had given up running with his daughter for her first half to run with me, I was going to continue to tough it out and get us a PR.
At about mile 12 you can see the jumbotron inside LP Field and people finishing. We picked up our pace. Then it was around the stadium, down inside, and out onto the field. The field was muddy and there was a strong head wind. We made our way to the far right side of the field where it was dryer and made our final push.
I crossed the finish line in 1:50:23. A new PR.
David and looked for his wife really quick but did not see her. Then we walked out of the stadium and ran back out to find his daughter. We got some very strange looks and lots of comments. The head wind was unbelievable but it had finally stopped raining. We found Amy. She looked great and had the biggest smile on her face. We turned around and ran in with her. I turned off and ran into the stadium so that I could watch them cross the finish line. I saw them enter the field and yelled. Amy had a strong finish and crossed with a huge smile. Conrats!!!!
I found David's wife and some of Amy's friends and we went back out to find David and Amy.
We got some food.
Trisonq was there. He had a great race.
Then I saw Lisa and Wayne. Lisa wasn't feeling so great, couldn't get warm.
I chatted with everyone and then made the long drive home.

the numbers:
8 place in age group (of 58)
62 female



Lisa, David, and me

18 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Congrads on the PR...and in the rain too!

Trisaratops said...

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

AWESOME job! Way to PR! :)

TJ said...

Awesome race in rough conditions.
Congrats on the PR!!!

Anonymous said...

Michelle // It was so great to finally meet you yesterday. I wanted to say a special thanks for cheering me on and coming back after you had finished to run in with me.

I've decided to do the Country Music Half. As my mom says, "Running--it just gets in your blood." I think my dad's just glad that "I'm hooked" now too. :-)

Amy

teacherwoman said...

Nice job Michelle! Congrats on the PR!

Phil said...

Really nice kick at the end, especially on a muddy field. Congrats on the new PR!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job, Michele! Congrats on the new PR!

Ryan said...

Great Job and good thing it was raining because as fast as you were running, you would have melted the rubber off of your shoes.

TriSonq said...

It's amazing we survived. I still can't believe we went ahead and ran among the lightning bolts!

Great job, Michele. It was great seeing you.

Holly Jane said...

You kicked butt!!! Awesome run!

Lance Notstrong said...

Great job on the new PR. Makes all the training worth while :-)

Dubs said...

Great write up and way to PR in the rain!!! Congrats!!! Way to go!!!

jen said...

Congrats on the PR Michele!! You ran a very strong and consistent pace- well, except that sub 8:00 last mile. Awesome!! You rocked it. Way to go. :)

monicac2 said...

Great, great job! I was looking at your splits, thinking, "I'll never run that fast!," LOL. My PR is 2:03:xx and that 13 minute difference seems as wide as the Grand Canyon right about now!

You just keep the inspiration coming! :)

Rae said...

Awesome job!!! I felt so bad for everyone as I heard the rain pouring down outside! It doesn't seem like it slowed you down though, way to go!!!

Kate said...

WOOOO!! Nice work!

PS- You're looking super slim too :)

Marathon Maritza said...

Congratulations on the PR!! Whoo-hooo! And with rain and lightening to boot! YOU ROCK

Darrell said...

Sa-weet! A PR, rain and all.