Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's Taper Time

Had my last hard workouts and now it is time to rest up and get ready to race.

I am kicking my taper off today with a rest day. I will do the Ab Ripper X DVD in a little while but that is it, no swimming, bike or running today!!!!

Thursday I did an easy 45 minute trainer ride. I used the Softride training DVD and didn't push it too hard. Then I did ab ripper.

The weather forecast wasn't looking good for Friday so I decided to wait until after dropping the kids off to school to go for my run in case I had to do it inside. Turns out it didn't rain until about 1:30 that afternoon but the wind was tough. I ran 13 miles of hills with a PMP goal. I ran into the wind on the way out and think I fought it too hard. I ran out of steam on the way back and ended up with a 9:11 pace overall. So close. After the run I had a 1500 yard swim. I took it nice a slow and was really trying to focus on catching the water with my pull.

Saturday's plan called for a 4:30 ride with a 0:15 run off. I waited on Ronnie to get home from golf and headed out about 1:30. It was a beautiful sunny day, about 60 degrees, and 17 mph winds that gusted up to 29 mph. Despite the wind, I had a great ride, I dare to say my best ever. I stopped after an hour and ate 3 Fig Newtons and drank some water. i was riding into the wind at the time and was really looking forward to making a turn. When I finally had the wind at my back, I was able to coast at 17-20 mph (can't do that on a trainer). The cross winds were almost as bad as the head wind and those gusts made it a fight to keep my bike on the road. I stopped again at 2 and 3 hours for cookie breaks. At 4 hours I was riding into the wind and didn't have a good place to pull over so I ate my cookies while riding. At this point I was close to home and had to figure out home to get in my last 20 minutes. I did one more loop of Pomroy. I was racing the clock to make it home by the 4:30 mark. I didn't make it. 4:34. 74.77 miles. 16.4 mph average speed. I never claimed to be fast.
I got off the bike and changed shoes. The first few steps of the run hurt. I felt like I was barely getting one foot in front of the other. I glanced at my Garmin and it said "Pace-8:30" I just laughed, there was no way I was running 8:30, I was just shuffling along. I got to one mile and sure enough 8:30. Wow, I could actually have a great run off the bike. I looped back toward home (still fighting the wind) and got in 1.79 miles for an 8:27 pace.

I took and ice bath, drank a Mike's hard lemonade and then went out for Mexican. Ahhh taper time!!!!!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, the Ironman training is really going well! Yes, that wind was not anybody's friend yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like you are ready for the CMM. I did 13.5 @ 9:11 paces Saturday morning. So It looks like we are about even. Enjoy the taper...less than 2 weeks to go.

monicac2 said...

How do you like the Ab Ripper DVD? I've never heard of it, but need SERIOUS help with my so-called abs!

MNFirefly said...

Enjoy the taper time!!

Holly Jane said...

Wow... 75 miles? OMG. You rock! And I think I saw you running my parents' subdivision Saturday. Was that you? White top, black tights?

Unknown said...

I think crosswinds are worse than headwinds. Nothing like feeling like your bike's about to be swept out from under you! Sounds like a fantastic ride.

jen said...

Wow, amazing long bike and transition run. You are awesome!! Enjoy the taper, you deserve the break.

Marathon Maritza said...

awesome ride and run! Enjoy your taper!

Lance Notstrong said...

Holy crap!!! Ice bath AND Mike's Hard Lemonade.....that sounds like an awesome recovery combination :-)

Bullet said...

ICE BATH!! Oh, it sucks but it's so worth it!