Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tom King Half Marathon

Earlier this week Ronnie told me "I don't know about you but I am not running Saturday in the rain." I just looked at him and said, "I did it last year, will do it again this year."
He ended up changing his mind and Saturday morning we drove up to LP Field in the rain. It wasn't raining as hard as last year but it was colder.
We put on ponchos and made our way to the stadium. Got chips and shirts, went potty, and then found David.

They had an early start at 8:00 for walkers. We started at 8:30. I tossed my poncho just as the start gun fired. My hands were freezing for the first several miles, wish I would have worn my toss off gloves.
I was runing with David and Ronnie was just behind us. David and I stopped for water at about the 2 or 3 mile mark. Then we were running along and spot ronnie just ahead. I asked him what he was doing. His goal was a sub 2 (9:09 pace). We ran the first three miles at 8:34, 8:22, and 8:31. He said he lost us at the water stop and didn't know how fast he was running. He let us in front of him so he coul pace off us.
It was still raining. We made it over the bouncey bridge and then to the turn around. Miles 4, 5, and 6 were run at 8:11, 8:17, 8:11.
I was getting warm and wishing I hadn't worn the vest. At mile 7 I told myself "Ok, only 5 to go". Boy was I disappointed when at mile 8 I realized Now I had 5 to go. 7 and 8 were both run at 8:16.
At this point David told me he was really feeling the four weeks of no running. I was still feeling strong. I made a move to pass a group of runners and David stayed behind. So now I was on my own. It started raining harder. I started picking out runers ahead to catch. First the girl in the red shirt, then the guy in the garbage bag, the girl in the blue hat...
Mile 9, 10, 11 and 12 were run in 7:51, 8:04, 8:02, and 7:54.
I could see the jumbo tron inside the stadium. I made the left turn and had 2 minutes to make 1:45. There was NO way. But I still had a shot at a PR. I pushed on. A right turn, then another right down into the staduim. I ran out on the field and made my way around the field to the finishline at an 8:02 pace.
I finished with an offical time of 1:48:37. I new PR.
I watched David cross the line at 1:51 .and then Ronnie smashing his sub 2 hour goal with a 1:53:43.
We cheered Jill to her finish just missing her sub 2 goal by 8 seconds.
Then we went back to the car and changed into dry clothes. It felt wonderful to have on dry socks.
We enjoyed some carbs in the staduim club and then made the drive home.
We celebrated our PR's at Wingers with more carbs. I think I am recovered and ready to focus on New Orelans in 3 weeks.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to be with both you and Ronnie yesterday. Congrats on both getting PRs. Looking forward to the Pig.

Lisa said...

Congrats to all of you!
Wayne Smith said the rain never did let up like it did last year.

Jill Ann said...

Thanks for the great story. Sorry I didn't train hard enoough to hang with you all! I will get back there...in the fall.

Fun times...even if it did rain! Keep me posted what else you're doing around and I'll try to do some of the same events!

Missy said...

Such a crappy day for you guys. Way to hit your PR. Hope you're finally dry.

Darrell said...

Congrats on PR's for the both of you. It's a bummer that you had rain again, but you got to take whatever gets thrown your way on race day.

jen said...

Congrats Michele on the PR!! Amazing negative split run, you are a smart runner. I always always always go out too fast. I might have to write your name on my hand in my upcoming HM to remind me how to properly race. You rock.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both of you on your PRs!

Marci said...

WooHoo for a new PR! You totally rock :)

Ryan said...

Awesome!

I love running in the rain by the way.