Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Over Weight and Under Trained

When I first started training for the Pig I said I wasn't sure what my goal was, BQ or just a fun run. But I went ahead and used my BQ time of 3:50 to determine long run paces. I did pretty good hitting PMP + whatever each week. I also had a half marathon PR and a 10K PR. I was feeling pretty good about shooting for the BQ. But I missed 2 of the 5 20 milers. One I ran the Tom King half instead not a big deal. I usually only run 4 of the 5 anyway and I had a great race. But the other fell the week after New Orleans 70.3 and was pouring rain. I used the rain as an excuses and quit after 6 miles. That is not Boston runner attitude.
Missing those long runs was bad and made me question just how ready I am for a marathon. Then I looked back in my training log to see what my weight was the Friday before Country Music. Ugggg...I am almost 10 pounds heavier then I was a year ago. I know the cookie dough and huge ass beers have not helped the cause but I have really been struggling with my weight latley. I eat right and exercise but I seem to stay right here in this same range. Last year for CMM I was at an all time low and only maintained that weight for a few months. I blamed vacation and Ironman for the gain but have not been able to re shed the pounds.
Then last Friday I was suppose to run 13 miles at PMP. I failed, Gamin Guy beat me. I think my pace was 8:53 vs 8:47 required.
Over weight and under trained, I am not seeing a BQ for me on May 3.

6 comments:

david said...

You are still doing better than me. We will have fun running the pig no matter what....only a week an a half to go!

Jill Ann said...

Just go and have fun in Pork-opolis. That's what I did. 2000 it was a hot little run in the sun and at mile 17, I decided to make a day of it...walked in with my Dublin friend, Liam and still made it in 5hrs. What memories. I LOVE that race.

So, you don't BQ at the Pig? Come to Columbus with me in the fall. We both need the same time, we train the same and are focused. Plus, how darned cool would it be to BOTH go to Boston in 2010??

Yea....I think SO!!!

PS If you see Jeremy and Susan of Fleet Feet Cincy...tell them I said HELLO!!!!

Marci said...

Don't worry about BQ... just go out and have a good run on May 3! I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Missy said...

Race your race, race your ass off, give it everything you've GOT!

jen said...

Now come on, you've had some really good runs! I know you'll have a strong finish if you run smart. A bq pace might be too much and that's fine. See how you feel when you're out there. Have fun!

monicac2 said...

No way. You're going to have a great race. You may be feeling undertrained now, but you are So Strong! I think you're going to kick some marathon butt!