Friday, January 18, 2008

Too Much Homework

I knew that when the kids returned to school after Christmas break they would be stepping up the intensity, but man, I didn't think it would be this bad!!! After all, they are only in 2nd and 3rd grade.
So we have had HOURS of homework every night this week. Add AR reading and there has been little time for fun!
Wednesday night we got some snow and I actually hoped school would be canceled just so we could have one night without homework. But for once just the mention of snow did not close school here and Thursday night turned out to be the worst homework wise.

Well despite all the homework, I have managed to squeeze in my workouts.

Tuesday I did an hour on my trainer. I had planned to ride outside but first I wanted to finish painting my bedroom. I ran out of paint and had to go to Tullahoma to get more. That was an hour and a half that I had not worked into my schedule that day. So trainer riding it was.

Wednesday was an 8 mile run at 4:30am. It was suppose to be at planned marathon pace. I don't have big plans for Birmingham but would still like to get my training in based on a 4 hour marathon. Failed. I can blame the cold, the early hour, the dark, the diet I am on...or I can just face the truth. I didn't give it my all. 8 miles in 1:16:09, 9:31 pace.

Wednesday evening was swim class in Brentwood. Drill sergeant Dee pushed us hard. We did some great drills. And by the end, I swam 2450 yards. Not to shabby for me. Nice to know I can still do that.

Thursday I took a rest day and prepared for my long run.

Friday long run day!!! 20 miles at marathon pace + 30 seconds. It was 8:45 before I got out the door but it was a PERFECT running day. 30 degrees and sunny. I took Clif Shot Bloks every mile until I just couldn't stand the sweet any longer (about mile 16). When I got to mile 20 I spit out the one I had had in my cheek for 4 miles. I didn't hit goal but got very close. 3:13:44, 9:41 pace. I will take that.

I have a 13 mile run next week and an 8-10 mile the following week then it is race day! Downhill from here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've have often thought that the only reason I went to school was so I would be able help the kids with their homework!

Good job on the runs. I know it feels good to have the 20 miler out of the way....time is getting short. Birmingham will be here before you know it!

Lisa said...

Great job on the 20 miler! If I did mine this weekend, I'm afraid I'd fall asleep in the middle of it. (2 antibiotics)

You will do wonderful in Birmingham. If the weather is like it was at Rocket City, we'll all stand around, cry together, & then get drunk afterwards. :P

MNFirefly said...

Nice job on the long run. Great job.

Christine said...

Wow...how do you get up to run at 4 something in the morning? I used to have swim practice that early..but something about swimming in the morning seems easier. Keep up the great work! YOu will do great at Birmingham!

Anonymous said...

You are going to do great at Mercedes!!!

Darrell said...

I remember those homework days. I'm very glad to be on the other side of all that now. Our boys are 17 and 20 and finally capable of doing their own. ;-)

Nice job with the long run. I can't believe that the next race is almost here already, wow.

TJ said...

i agree with chritine, swimming at that time of the day is much easier than running. good job on getting it done.

monicac2 said...

You are just doing so,so well!! You're going to run beautifully in Birmingham, I just know it!

Joe said...

I hear you on the homework issue. I'm going through similar pain and my son is only in grade ONE! Do these teachers realize that when they give young kids homework they are giving their parents homework too? OMG!

Oh well, I found that since we got a Wii, my son is very motivated to do a good job on his homework, otherwise he gets no Wii time.

teacherwoman said...

I think they give kids too much homework these days (being a teacher myself). I think that 2nd grade - 20 to 30 minutes. 3rd grade 30-40 minutes. That's my thoughts.


Some teachers are ruthless.. what about those kids that don't have someone at home to help them with their homework??? Because those kids are definitely out there! Homework should be just skill building... extra practice!

That's my 2 cents! :)

Marathon Maritza said...

Great long run!!!! Hope the homework eases up a bit...sometimes I feel that the strong, great schools pile a little too much on. I know they are trying to get the students to get used to the hours of work they might have in High School and college but seriously? Let 2nd and 3rd graders PLAY for crying out loud!

Lance Notstrong said...

They do pile on the homework these days. Sometimes it's alot to handle.