Sunday, June 29, 2008

McMinnville City Triathlon

My only goal for this race was to have fun.
Mission accomplished.
I got to the race site at about 6:00 Saturday morning and got a text from David right away. I found him and his wife parked right down from me.
I got my transition area set up. Then found Mike, Don, and Tim.
This race is a pool swim. Your start position is based on your estimated swim time. I used last years time and therefore was number 187. Mike had changed his time and as a result ended up number 27, right up front with all the really good swimmers and serious athletes. We got some good laughs about it before the race. Mike managed to sweet talk his way into moving back to 200.
The race started late and then it took forever to get everyone in the water.
Team Magic has gotten a new timing system and they now have a mat at the swim start. Therefore, you have to jump in when they say "Go".
My turn finally came. I stood on the mat and when they said go I jumped into the pool.
I don't know if it was all the pre race laughing or just the fact that I was there just to have fun, but I was very relaxed in the water. I caught up with the person in front of me pretty quickly. Then the next person and the next...I continued passing people and never got passed.

I ran out out of the pool and into transition.
350 yard swim = 7:15
T1-I got my helmet and bike shoes on, grabbed my bike, and was out of there.
The mat at the exit must not have been working because T1 time is lumped in with the bike times.
While waiting on the race to start we commented several times on the wind. It was strong. The bike course is rolling and the first half was into the wind. I noticed after the first several miles I was riding just over 3 minute miles. Hmmm...could I pull off a 20 mph ride?? I started to push a little harder. I continued to pass people and still had not been passed by anyone. After the 8 mile marker we turned and had a cross wind. I was able to pick up some speed but was still 2 minutes off of a 20 mph pace. We made another turn and got the tail wind. Time to make up the time. I pushed but was feeling Friday's run in my quads. I made the final turns, saw the 15 mile marker, did the math, and had my 20 mph pace.
15.25 mile ride + T1 = 47:22
I put up my bike and changed to running gear. I grabbed a Gu and was out of transitionT2 = 1:11
I was off on the run. I passed more people and then someone passed me!!!! It was the girl who went into the pool 2 people ahead of me. I had passed her in the pool. She came into T1 just behind me and must have been right on my tail the whole ride. So at about a half mile into the run she passed me. I checked out her left calf and was relieved to see that she was not in my age group. The run is more rolling hills. I drank water at each of the aid stations. No one else passed me. I made the turn into the park and made the final push to the finish line.
3.1 mile run 23:52 (7:58 pace).
I found Tim right away. He had forgotten to start his watch so had no idea how he had done but felt good about his race. I saw Mike cross the finish line. Then I found David and his wife. We chatted for a while then I went to see if they had results posted. I saw Don and he said they had Mike as the overall winner!!
Sure enough there was Mike listed at number 1. Don and I went to find Mike and congratulate him.
Too bad results were updated and Mike was no longer in the top spot.
We hung out for the awards.
Tim snagged 1st place beginner.
I got 3rd place age group.
Mike got 3rd place Mater Clydesdale.
My final time was 1:19:39
The overall female winner had a time of 1:13:42 and the first place female in my age group was 1:18:02. I was less then 6 minutes behind the winner and a minute and a half behind my age group winner. Not too bad! And I got a really cool mug for my trophy shelf.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a Great Race....As always, it was good to see you again.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Congrats and great report!! I love the picture of you jumping in the pool!!haha! Wish I coulda made it there!

Jill Ann said...

GREAT race!! All your hard training is paying off.

PS I bought a jump rope this weekend...in honor of you. Hope I can start working on those hips also.

See you in a few weeks at Staggerwing.

Darrell said...

Awesome placement for a fun day at the races. Congrats!