Sunday, June 01, 2008

Rock 'n RollMan Race Report

I got up early, before my alarm even went off. I hadn't slept well. I ate a Prue Protein bar and some Fig Newtons.
I got to the race site plenty early. I got body marked and set up my transition. Water temp was announced to be 77.5, wetsuits would be legal. Finally some good news.
I walked down to the beach and found a table to sit at. I sipped G2 and talked to some other racers. Before I knew it the race started. I was going out in wave seven, the last wave of the half. We had a fairly small wave and when the gun fired we were off. It was a single clockwise loop in a lake. When I practice swimming I breathe every third stroke so I am breathing on both sides. But in a race I panic and breathe every other stroke, on the left. It makes it hard to site on a clockwise course. I am sure I looked like a turtle when I looked for the markers. But for the most part, I just counted on the other swimmers and sighted off of them. The good thing about going out last is I never had anyone coming up from behind and was really excited when I started catching people from the waves ahead of me. I finally relaxed and thought about reaching and rolling. It was full contact swimming but at least there were no jelly fish and the water was smooth as glass. I made the final turn and swam for the beach. I caught up with the sprint distance racers and it got pretty crowded. I got out of the water and saw a 38 something on my watch and knew I had a PR swim. It is a pretty far uphill run from the beach to transition, so final 1.2 mile swim time was 40:00.
Of course there weren't many bikes left in transition by this point so it made mine easy to find. I got out of my wetsuit and into my bike shoes and helmet. I grabbed my bike and ran for the exit. T1 time 1:46
I quickly discovered that another advantage of going out in the last swim wave and only being a so-so swimmer was that I didn't get passed on the bike. I did all the passing. I knew the course was going to be hilly. I am not a strong cyclist and hills are not my friend. So I just told myself to do what I could. I ate shot bloks every 10 to 15 minutes and drank water. At the 15 mile water drop I grabbed a water and filled my aero bottle. I was disappointed that the water wasn't cold. I continued passing people. I had my computer set to show cadence and time. I never checked distance or average speed but I could tell from the mile markers and my time that I was on my way to a PR bike. But the hills never let up, it was one after the other. I have never said the f word so much in my life. The 30 mile and 45 mile water drops went smooth, well except I dropped the first bottle at the 30 and had to grab a second. But it didn't slow me down any. I finally saw the 50 mile marker and by my computer had 6 minutes to get a sub 3. I just kept saying push and pull. I made it to the dismount line. 56 mile bike 2:58:53
I ran my bike back to my rack. helmet off. hat on. bike shoes off. running shoes on. grabbed my gu and was out. T2-1:36
I took a Gatorade as I started the run. Ewww too sweet. The race site described the run as "a one loop course with 3 out and back sections. A rolling course with no serious climbs, it is the heat that makes this course difficult." And boy did the heat make it difficult but the hills were nothing to ignore either. My plan was to "run" from aid station to aid station. At each aid station I stopped and got a fresh wet towel that I kept around my neck, water, and ice to dump in my bra. I got orange slices and heed at a few stations. I got heed once thinking it was water (it was clear too) and dumped it over my head. Great now I am hot and sticky!!! I walked while I drank/ate. My mile splits were looking good. Could I PR this run too??? The heat was starting to get to me. I was getting a headache and my face felt like it was on fire. My shoes were soaked and I could feel blisters forming on my toes. I ran past a guy and he said at least I had the frogs in my shoes to keep me company. The walk breaks at aid stations got longer and so did my splits. I final got to the park entrance. Up the final hill, then the finish line was in site. I got to the chute and crossed the line. 13.1 mile run 2:06:26

I got my medal, an ice cold towel, and a bottle of water. They had a sprinkler tent set up and I stood under it for few minutes then went and found the beer tent. Best beer I have ever had!!! I hung out and talked for a while waiting on official results so I could get my official time. Results were posted.

Official time 5:48:38
I was the 22nd female to finish. Hmm I looked at the ages. I was 3rd in my age group. I decided to stick around for the awards. I went and put my bike and stuff in the car and got a fresh beer (or two).
The awards started. They went 3 deep in masters. Hmm even better for me. They did age group awards and I started to wonder how I would fair. 40-44 females. 1st place...Michele Emerson. Shocked I went and collected my award.

I left after that and went back to the hotel. My room key didn't work!!! Took it to the front desk to get it reprogrammed. I took a quick shower then got a beer and went to the pool. After a few more beers I decided to order pizza (I forgot to grab an Outback chicken sandwich at the post race party).
It was a great race. Very well run with lots of great volunteers. The aid stations were well stocked. It was hot and the course was tough but it was a great time. The best part...there is a race for everyone. Don't want to run? They have an aquabike. Don't want to swim? They have a duathlon. Just want to do one sport? They have a relay. Don't want to go long? They have a sprint.
I will be going back to Georgia someday and I will be riding lots of hills before I do!!

15 comments:

Lisa said...

That's the coolest age graded award I've ever seen. Congrats to you, Michele!!!!

Jill Ann said...

Very cool. I am glad a loner race was a great experience for you. I wish I had been there to drink a few beers. We'll go back though...and Joe will train with you. Tough tri lady!

This is your year!!

Anonymous said...

Cool trophy! Congrats on a Great Race.

MNFirefly said...

Congrads!!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That is SO FREAKING cool!!! You are really smoking this year, Michele! 1st place AG in a half iron is some Bad Ass stuff! Way to go!!!

TriSonq said...

Meant to leave this on this blog entry. Sorry?!?

OK. The proud side of me wants to say I hate everyone who does better than me in races. Even though I was not in this race, you did beat my best 1/2 ironman time. Killed it actually.

But, I can't. I am sooo prooud of you. That is an incredible time! You inspire me. Thank you.

Phil said...

Congratulations Michele on your age placement! and what a fantastic 1/2 marathon time! I lost track of the beer count. You certainly deserved them.

monicac2 said...

Wow! Way to go on an amazing performance! It's so funny, because I don't bike or swim, so I couldn't really assess those performances, but then I saw you ran a 2:06 half - after biking and swimming - and I really had to bow down then!

And how can you drink afterwards? I'd be keeled over in a corner somehwere, I'm sure!

Trisaratops said...

AWESOME JOB!!!


Yahooooooooooooooooo! :)

jen said...

Wow, Congrats!! Amazing finish time. You rock. Congrats on the AG Award. :)

IronTriTim said...

Great time, great award. As for swimming and breathing, I am the same, I bi-lateral breathe in my training swims, but in a race I only breathe on the right on every stroke, tires one side of my body more, however I am more comfortable and relaxed.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Michele!!!! That is awesome!
Congrats!
I love the "full contact swimming bit"... ;-)

Ryan said...

Awesome Job!

1st Place always rocks, well I wouldn't know, I'll just assume.

Sorry I missed you. We were both sitting at the awards ceremony, maybe right next to each other and didn't even know it!!!!!!!!!

That was a great race, but what was the deal with those tiny little cups? I think I spit more than that cup can hold, and Heed, well....I was sticky too.

Great job on the race!

What's next?

Ironman is coming!!!!!!!!!!

TJ said...

That's awesome Michele!
Congrats!!!!!

Rae said...

Way to go!! Congrats on an awesome race!!!!!