Friday, January 30, 2009

Long Run-Done

Alarm went off at 3:30 and it took me 2 minutes to get out of bed. I got dressed, ate a banana, and headed out the door.
The plan was 17 miles at PMP +45 seconds. I started very slow (it was early and cold) but picked it up later. I just didn't pick it up enough and ended up with a 9:49 pace. That does meet the sub 4 PMP + 45, but not the BQ+. Oh well, not stressing over it. Hope I can BQ at the Pig but still have Vegas in my back pocket too.
It was cloudy this morning so therefore it was also VERY dark. At one point I was just praying that I wouldn't run off the road into the ditch. I couldn't see anything. It's just a good thing I run these roads as often as I do and know them so well.
After the run I felt bad. I ate another banana and a bowl of oatmeal, showered, then drank a protein shake. I started to feel better after that. I drank a liter of Mandarin Orange Sparkling Water and felt fine again.
I had 6 oz of water and Sharkies with me on the run but while running I felt fine and didn't want to eat them. I know it is stupid but I have been really struggling with these extra pounds I put on after the race and just kept thinking of those Sharkies as extra calories I didn't need.
While running I listened to an older Runner's Roundtable Podcast. They had a lady on there that had lost over 100 pounds. She was talking about finding the balance between calories burned and calories cumsumed. I sure wish I could find my balance.

3 comments:

Missy said...

Fuel, not excess calories, fuel...now the extra beers and/or cake...excess calories:) I'm with you. I just love it when I can feel all my junk moving, ha.

jen said...

Sounds like you had an awesome run Michele! It might not hae been effortless but it was a solid pace for sure. Keep up the good work! And definitely eat the Sharkies.. you need the fuel!

Marathon Maritza said...

Great run, Michele! But you gotta eat! I agree with Jen, the fuel is necessary :)

And man, you are totally beating me in early wake-ups...I'm only getting up at 4:45!