Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Scale-a-holic

Not very many people know this about me, but I am a Scale-a-holic. I don't mean that I weigh myself everyday but that I weigh myself several times a day. First thing when I get up in the morning I pee, strip, and weigh myself. That is my "official" weight of the day and gets recorded in my training log. But then I weigh myself again after I workout, after my shower, when I change after work, before bed...basically anytime I find myself in the bathroom I hop on the scale. I don't know why? It's not like I do anything different based on the number reported on the scale. I guess it is just that I am a numbers person. I can't run without my Garmin. I can't ride without my bike computer. I can't swim without a watch. And all these numbers get recorded in my training log.
Well, last Tuesday I got up, peed, striped and hopped on the scale. I did my trainer ride, striped, and hopped on the scale again. I was down two pounds. Then I took a shower and hopped on the scale again. I lost 17 pounds. I almost got back in the shower to see if I could drop 17 more!!
I changed the battery but it was still off so I ended up having to buy a new scale. I am back in business. It was tough those few days without my scale.
Between hopping on and off the scale, I have managed to get some good workouts in this week.
Saturday was a 2 hour trainer ride. I was concerned how I would feel after Friday's long run. But I popped in a movie and turned the pedals. I finished with 33.5 miles and felt pretty good.
Now Sunday is a whole different story. I got up and scrubbed all the new tile on my hands and knees trying to get off any mortar. (We are almost ready to grout and be done with this project!) Then we cleaned out the garage so that we could get the cars back in there. So by Sunday night all I felt like was beer, popcorn and Super Bowl.
Monday I got up at 4:00. (peed and weighed). I had my sports bra on before I heard the rain on the skylight. I went out the back door to determine if I could still run. It wasn't raining that hard and it wasn't that cold but I went back to bed anyway. I got up again at 5 and went to the pool. I got in 3000 of the 4000 yards the plan called for before I ran out of time. I dreaded the run all day and finally got around to it after putting the kids to bed. 10 minute warm up, 5 x 1k with 400 RI, and 10 minute cool down. The intervals I ran at 7:47, 7:24, 7:25, 7:27 and 7:29.
Tuesday morning came early. i felt like I had just finished running and now I had to do intervals on the bike. After a 10 minute easy warm up I did 6 x (5 minutes hard/3 minutes easy) and a 10 minute cool down. Got in 20 miles.
I debated when to run today. The forecast was for COLD and around here you never know if that means school closings. So i went ahead and got up at 5:30 for my 6 mile tempo run. After the 1 mile warm up, I picked it up to mid-tempo pace (I thought). First tempo mile came in at 8:10 (goal was 8:23). I thought "Hmmm, that was hard but I only have 3 more let's see if I can hold this pace". Knocked out the next 3 in 8:05, 8:09, and 8:02. I was done after that and enjoyed my slow 10:08 mile jog home. I got the kids off to school then went to toning class at the Rec Center. With every squat my legs screamed and she loves squats.
Tonight is swim class and I hope to be able to make it out to Wingers with the crew afterwards.
Thankfully tomorrow is a rest day. But then Friday is my first 20 miler of this schedule. I hope to be able to do it during daylight this week.

5 comments:

Missy said...

I thought I was a scale-o-holic...I recind my crown to you! That's a lot of weighing. You need to go gadget free for a week;)

Benson said...

You are the first person I know of who wore out a scale. You actually wore it out and broke it. Was it under warranty? Just a thought.

Great running there.

jen said...

Wow, that is quite the obsession! I try to weigh myself once week but usually sneak in a few extra times. I hate how my mood changes depending on the number.

I have also wore out a scale though a few years ago and it was awful, the new scale was much more honest (I tried several at the store and they all revealed the sad truth). That was rough. Funny thing is I weigh about 10 lbs more than that "horrible" number now! And I'm ok with it!

Anyway, awesome workouts this week- your run pace is really impressive on those intervals and tempo runs!! Way to go. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in trouble! With my gimppy leg, I'm not going to be able to keep up with you!

Marci said...

I can relate to being a scale-o-holic as well!