Monday, May 19, 2008

Memphis in May Race Report

I checked the kids out of school Friday at 11:00 to head down to Memphis. That is the first time I have checked them out for anything other then sickness. Neither teach gave them any make up work since they are just wrapping thing up anyway.

We went on to Millington and picked up my stuff because I didn't know if they would let me get it Sunday morning before the race. Then we went to Dawn's house. I drank way too much and stayed up way too late playing Wii and eating ores.

Saturday we didn't do much but it was great just hanging out with Dawn again. We went to Bola Pasta for dinner and more beer Saturday night. Then back to Dawn's for more Wii. I can see a Wii in our future, it was so much fun.

Sunday morning I got up early and got the car loaded. We got to the race site at 6:30. All the good racks on my row were already taken so I had to get down close to the fence. I am sure that the extra distance added all of 3 or 4 seconds to my transition times, wish I could blame it more.

I got body marked and had to declare myself the big four oh for the first time.
I hung out with my support for a while and then went to line up. It took a while for it to be my turn since I was #878. I finally made it up to the front of the line and the lady touched my should and said "Go". I ran down the boat ramp and into the water. It was cold. I quickly passed the girl who went right before me and just sighted on the other yellow caps ahead. I felt like I was out there all alone for a long time and then I got clobbered by the faster swimmer coming up from behind. From the point on it was full contact swimming. I made my way around the buoys and after the final turn the water got rough. At first i thought there must be a boat but it never let up. I made it to the boat ramp and tried to stand up but the water was still too deep (I swear the person ahead of me stood up there). I swam some more and ended up swimming until the water was only about mid calf deep.
1.5K swim 27:16
I found my bike, got out of my wetsuit, and into my bike gear. Dee, my swim coach from when I went to swim class, was leaving transition the same time as me. I knew she went in the water way after me and had just smoked me on the swim. I wondered how many others had passed me in the water.
T1-2:12
Coming out of T1 it is a very slight uphill. I got my right foot clipped in and was trying to get my left foot in when it slipped off the pedal. I hit the seat hard. After that, I got clipped in and moving. The bike was nice and flat but we had a cross wind for most of the ride. I had my aero bottle on my bike and this made me drink a lot more then I normally do. I think that really helped. I felt great but had no idea how I was doing. My computer wasn't working and there weren't any mile markers. I never saw anyone from my age group. I did realize out there was just how much I need to work on my turning. I am a big fat chicken and slow WAY down for any kind of turn. I can't even remember how many times I got passed or lost ground on a turn. I finally saw someone from my age group just as I approached transition. I passed her and she passed me right back. I made the final turn and went down the hill to the dismount line. 40K bike 1:09:33 (21.1 mph average)

Changed out of bike stuff into running stuff and was out for the run. T2 2:18

As I started, I spotted Ronnie and the kids. I got a high five from Bryce and continued on. The run was hillier then I thought. I made it to the first mile maker got some Gatorade and figured my pace to be about 9:00. I saw Patrick some time after the 2. He told me to catch up with him. yeah right!!! I made it to the turn round and headed back. I saw Ronnie and the kids as I ran along the water's edge approaching the finish. The wind almost blew my hat off, but I caught it with one and and waved with the other. 10K run 51:46 (8:20 pace)

2:33:03 a new PR
15 of 68 AG

They had a great party with free beer and tons of food and a band. I got beer and food and beer.

Patrick and Wayne found us by the beer tent. We chatted for a while and then we headed out, it was still a long drive home.

13 comments:

Jill Ann said...

Congrats on such a GREAT race! I looked you up yesterday and was thrilled to see you hammered the mud bowl.

PS. You look absolutely fabulous, just like I told you at CMM!!

Holly Jane said...

Congratulations!!! I knew you would do great! Especially great job on the bike - with no computer!

Trisaratops said...

SMOKIN' FAST!!!!!!!

Congratulations! Way to kick butt!

TJ said...

Way to smoke the bike!
Congrats on the PR!

TriSonq said...

You are getting sooo fast.

Congrats on your PR. Cute kids.

So glad to see you. BTW, stole some of your pics. :)

TriSonq said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TonyP said...

Congrats. Great job, great report and great pic with Elvis.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 15th place finish. So very cool! I loved reading your blog; I live vicariously through your accomplishments.
Take care, Tina

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You did great!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Congrats Michele! Smokin' fast on the bike!!!

Lisa said...

Embrace your fabulous 40s, Michele. You look great and you are FAST! :)

jen said...

Congrats Michele!! Absolutely smokin bike, and the rest wasn't bad either. ;) Sounds like a really fun day. Way to go on the PR. You look great btw! :)

Rae said...

Woo hoo!! Way to go!