Friday, October 03, 2008

18 Before Sunrise

I got the kids to bed a few minutes after 8 last night. Then after their usual stalling, I got them asleep and I went to bed myself. Thanks to the 2 glass of wine I had enjoyed, I was able to go right to sleep. At a little before 1:00am I woke up to pee. I had just gotten back in bed and was drifting back off to sleep when I heard the beep beep that signals the opening of a door at my house. I bolted straight up and looked at the control panel in our room. The light was red, meaning a door was open. I starting shaking Ronnie telling him someone opened a door. He was a little confused and it took him a minute, but he finally got up and went to investigate. He gave the back door a shove then went a gave the garage door a shove. That time I heard the beep beep again and the light turned to green. He came back to bed and told me I imagined the whole thing, that no door was open. I told him the light changed from red to green and it beeped. He got back in bed and fell right back to sleep. I, on the other hand, slept very fitfully for the next two hours.
My alarm went off at 3 and I got up to do my long run. I was still feeling skittish from the whole alarm deal and running in the dark alone had little appeal. So I decided to just run my 6 mile loop of the 5 neighborhoods by my house 3 times. This would make it so that I was never much more then a mile from home at any given time. The first loop I was jumpy. I couldn't believe how many cars were out at that time of the morning. Just before my 5 mile mark there was this truck and I guess he was wondering what I was up to cause he slowed down then stopped. I didn't know what he was up to either. I ran past him then he took off again. On loop two, around mile 10, I had a bulldog run up to me. It was dark, his owner was calling him, and I didn't want to get attacked so I stopped. He sniffed me and I petted him. He gave me his approval and I continued my run. Thankfully, loop 3 was uneventful. I finished the 18 miles before the sun came up and I felt really good the whole time with an average pace of 9:15. That's it my last long run. Only 4 weeks to go.

Today is also the last day of the first 9 weeks. My kids are one forth of the way finished with the school year. Next week is fall break. It will be extra challenging to get all my workouts in with kids home. I might have to do some shifting around. I am only working 2 days but one of those has long swim that there is no way I can get done and be at work on time. So shifting I will do, but the time will be put in, too close now to cut workouts short.

8 comments:

monicac2 said...

I cannot believe that you got up at THREE A.M. to go run for 18 miles. THAT is truly amazing!! Also, that you completed three 6-mile loops is awesome because I hate doing more than one loop of any distance.

KUDOS!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job on the 18. I have no idea how I'm going to deal with fall break next week. No idea. But I've got to come up with something - it's the last week before taper!!! Woohoo!

Marathon Maritza said...

Man, you were up early! Great job! You can totally just re-organize and get the rest of your training in while the kiddies are home....you are super-ironman-mom!

Benson said...

Good job sistah, you're on your way to a great race experience.

jen said...

Yikes, sorry about the scare... that is a rough way to start the day. You pulled out an amazing 18 miler though, awesome.

You are getting close! You sound so ready. :)

MNFirefly said...

Nice job, Michele!

Jill Ann said...

Alarm system in ?? Tullahoma/Manchester? Now, if my alarm went off like that in E Nash...I probably would've WET the bed! You did well all considered.

Good 18 miler too!

Missy said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting up at 3something o'clock. that is just rough. We're getting so very close!