Monday, September 24, 2007

It is Just Painful

I have been walking like I am 100 years old for two days.

All 3 of the other people at work asked if I had wrecked my bike again.

It is actually getting better but I have been so sore from Saturday’s race/long run.

Yesterday the schedule called for a 6 mile recovery run and 6 x 100 strides. I met Tracy at the Rec Center at 6 am. We ran the greenway through town, down Hills Chapel to Oak and back to town. I was very slow getting started and even once the stiffness went away, I could not pick up the pace. I kept telling Tracy sorry that I was ruining her run. 6 miles in 1:02:36, 10:26 pace. I had to skip the strides because once I finished running I had to potty too bad that I just had to rush home.

I had a hard time with the stairs at church. Sitting and standing are both also challenging.

This morning I met Lana at her house. She had mapped us out a new route. One part of it turned out to be pretty scary but otherwise it was good. Once again, I was very stiff starting out. I never did feeling like I got my stride right, it always felt short. The downhills were very painful, for once I was glad we had to run up Cracker Barrel hill and not down. We finished about a quarter of a mile from Lana’s and I was so glad to stop running. 12 miles in 1:59:17, 9:57 pace.

Tomorrow is a rest/cross training day. I am thinking about meeting Lana on her lunch hour for an easy ride. I am waiting to see how the legs feel before I commit.

Then I am on my own the reminder of the week. 11 miles with 6 at half mary pace, 5 mile recovery, and the first 20 miler.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

If you were doing your 20 on Sat, I'd join you. I almost dread my long run this weekend. I'm having sinus problems. Nothing like a little Nasonex with my enduralyte pills and gatorade. Ugh!
Great effort on very tired legs!

Anonymous said...

You've still got a long way to go until December. Don't push it. If you need to take an extra rest day...do it and don't feel guilty. The long term goal is more important than the short term goal of weekly mileage

Rae said...

I have been SO sore too!! I thought it was because I haven't been running much distance lately. It's been crazy. But swim class tonight really seemed to help loosen me up. Stupid flat race.

Brooke said...

Cracker Barrel Hill. If that's what it sounds like, I would've just stopped there.

Hope you feel better soon.

Joe said...

Skip the cross training. Take a day off!

Marathon Maritza said...

Hurray for you! Great job turning that half into an 18 miler...I'm contemplating doing that for the 2nd 20 miler, since there is a half that day also in my area...we'll see.

I am doing my first 20 this weekend too! (Are you doing the 55mpw peak schedule?) I'll think of you! Take it easy in the meantime to get ready for it.

jen said...

Great job getting out there despite the soreness, but I agree with the others that if you need a rest day it's perfectly fine to take one! But I know you know that. ;) Good luck on the rest of the week! :)

MNFirefly said...

Hang in there. I would rest another day and do some epson salt bath to relax the muscles so they are not so sore. I hope you feel better soon.