Friday, September 28, 2007

Week 8 Wrap Up

Week 8 is in the books. It was a tough week with 54 miles scheduled. Coming off the Middle Half last weekend I wasn’t sure I was going to make it. But not only did I get in the required 54 miles, I rode 13+. This is the second highest mileage week and it is DONE!!!!

So how did I wrap it up?

Thursday was 5 at 5 (that’s am). I met Tracy, Mike, Amy and Mary Beth at the Rec Center. We picked up Lana on the greenway, she was already 6 miles into her 20 mile run and looked strong.
It was a recovery run for me. 5 miles in 51:12, 10:15 pace.
We said bye to Lana as she ran off into the darkness to finish her last 9 miles on her own. She finished in 3:18:44. Great job!

Last night I downloaded 4 pod casts and mixed up 24 oz of OS drink. Lana had had success drinking it on her long run with no tummy troubles so I wanted to give it a try too.

This morning I took the kids to school early, they were getting out early so I didn’t feel as bad about it. Then I came back home and headed out on my 20 miler. Just me and Steve Runner. I have never listened to a pod cast but it was GREAT. The miles ticked off and I just listened. A pod cast is different then music for me because it really makes me listen and I don’t have time to focus on how far I have been and how much further I still have to go.
It was foggy and cool (61) when I started but it didn’t take long for the fog to burn off and the sun to come out. I got hot quickly. I didn’t drink at the start but once the sun came out I took regular sips of the OS. I had three 6 oz bottles and drank every last drop. Happy to report no tummy troubles.
I made it to 20 miles in 3:18:41, 9:56 pace. I walked the quarter of a mile home and text messaged Lana (who had text me while running) that I was DONE!!
I took and ice bath and downed a 12 oz bottle of Gatorade. After showering and dressing, I ate a Weight Watchers meal and then went and got the kids from school.
They let me take about an hour nap and I am feeling great.
Lana reply was “Good job! Its over now - have you a drink.” And I think it is time to follow her advice. I hear a cold beer calling my name.

13 comments:

jen said...

Awesome job today!! You ran a great pace and sounds like you were feeling strong the whole time. Beautiful!! You and Lana ran almost identical time- how cool is that. :) Great job you guys! Enjoy your beer and your weekend.

Lisa said...

GREAT JOB on the 20 miler! :)

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I know it is a good feeling to have the 54 mile week behind you. Your are doing great. Glad you have discovered Phedippidations. Steve does a great job on the PodCasts. Enjoy your rest day!

Marathon Maritza said...

WOW! Great job Michele!!! You have thoroughly inspired me for my run tomorrow! I have my first of two 20's tomorrow and it's my highest mileage week! EEK!

AWESOME JOB! Also glad to hear you enjoyed the podcasts, I'm a huge fan of them for long runs.

Kate said...

I love that you guys were 3 seconds apart! That's so cool.
54 miles- wow!

Phil said...

It's those mid-week 14 milers that just killed me on the program. You're doing great. Just wait 'till you get to taper time and are only running 40 mpw. You'll feel like a slacker.

Great running.

Anonymous said...

You put in some very nice runs this week!! Keep up the hard work.

home fitness

Lance Notstrong said...

Gotta love the ice bath :-) I thought they would be torture when I started doing them last year, but they really can be refreshing. Especially if you get to take a nap afterwards :-)

MNFirefly said...

Great job on the 20 miler! Awesome pace!

Allez said...

I love ice baths too! So refreshing!

RunToTheFinish said...

Wow, I'm considering training for another full but my problem has always been doing over 16 by myself. I love running alone, but 20 miles...ok you've inspired me.

E-Speed said...

nice job on the 20. You and Lana are really doing well with the long runs!