Friday, November 09, 2007

A New Hill

Lana convinced me to go ahead and run with her at 4:00 this morning instead of waiting until 8, after the kids went to school.

So I met Lana in the dark and cold at the Rec Center. It has been a tough week. The goal for this 17 mile long was slow and steady, log the miles and get it done. We started out with the 12 mile route Lana had mapped out last week that we never ran.

This was no flat route. You know when a hill has a name, it is going to be a tough climb. Lana has already introduced me to jail hill, thrill hill, watermelon hill...this morning it was snob hill. I don't know the story and couldn't catch my breathe to ask.

By mile 10 my legs felt like lead. Lana kept picking up the pace and I trudged on with her. We had to wing the last part of the run. We didn't want to get too far from the Rec Center and then have to walk back but then laps of the parking lot had no appeal either. Lana's Garmin got 0.08 miles ahead of mine. I know that doesn't sound far, but when her Garmin beeped 17 miles and mine only showed 16.92 it hurt to keep running. Being the wonderful training partner that she is, Lana finished it out with me.

We stretched and got in our cars to head home. As I was backing up I noticed Lana waving. I rolled down my window and she says "9:24 pace". My mouth fell open. No wonder it hurt so bad. I checked my Garmin and sure enough it reports a 9:27 pace. I like Lana's better but considering the goal and the training this week I will happily take 9:27.

Splits look like this:
10:23, 9:29, 9:28, 9:38, 9:30, 9:23, 9:30, 9:20, 9:25, 9:06, 9:17, 9:27, 9:22, 9:21, 9:31, 9:17, and 9:06

I got home and got the kids up and moving. I had heard Casey coughing all night and asked her did she need to go to school. Both my kids are all about the perfect attendance so she assured me she could make it.

In the interest of time, I skipped the ice bath this morning. I can tell already that I am going to regret it.

I dropped the kids dropped off at school and went to Wal-mart. My least favorite place on Earth!

Once I got home and got everything put a way, I decided to take a short nap. The phone rang as soon as I got horizontal. It was the school. Casey was crying, no fever but her head hurt. I drove up to the school and she was in the office still crying. When she saw me, she starting crying harder. She had left her lunch box in the lunch room. I told her we would go get it. We walk into the lunch room to find my son crying too. I got his mess sorted out and took my daughter home.

I am waiting for the school to call me back to get Bryce. This time change has really messed these kids up.

Good thing I got that run in at 4am!!!

5 comments:

Wes said...

Phew! 4 AM is hard core! Fantabulous run, and sorry to hear the l'il ones are feeling sick...

Anonymous said...

What a great run to end a hard week. Just think, one more 20 miler and then its Taper Time! You are almost there! Hope Bryce and Casey get to feeling better.

Marathon Maritza said...

Great pace, Michele!!! You are almost to taper, aren't you? Whoo-hoo!!

And sorry to hear your kids were not doing so hot today, but I think it's awesome about the perfect attendance...I was TOTALLY that kid too!

TJ said...

sick kids are no fun. hope all are better soon.
great run!

Bigun said...

Damn good run - nice "easy" pace - I love it when folks' "easy" pace is my 10k pace...