Thursday, September 04, 2008

Got the Most Out of It

The title for today's post was going to be
Bad Run
But then I read today's entry in The Runner's Book of Daily Inspiration that my friend Kim gave me for my birthday.
It said
Instead of judging each day on strict standards of "good" or "bad," it might be worthwhile to look at it in a different way. Is it possible that, even though you had a theoretically "bad" day, you got the most out of that day that you could possibly get? That you derived more benefit from that "bad" day than you did when things were so easy for you on that theoretically "good" day?


Wow, that hit home today.
I got up at 3:15 for my 2:20 run. I felt slow the whole time. I just couldn't get into it. I wanted to quit and try again another day, but there is no other day. I had to get it done today. So I ran. 13.97 miles in 2:21:42.
I was mad at myself. How can I go out and run so easily one day and then barely shuffle through another day?
I read my daily inspiration and instantly felt better. Today's run my not have been at a pace I like to run at but the mental toughness I got just by finishing is money in the bank for Ironman.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good words to remember....Good luck at HOW this weekend.

Eric said...

I think the fact that you got up at 3:15 to go run makes it a good day on it's on :-)