Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Nothing Like a Good Nap

I am a contract employee. I only get paid for hours I work. There are no benefits, no sick time, no vacation, and I pay all my own taxes and social security. So basically I am self employed working for someone else. The job doesn't pay very well but what it lacks in pay it makes up for in flexibility. At the end of each month I make out a work schedule for the next month and hang it on the fridge at work. So when I made out my work schedule for Sept I consulted the school events calendar and my training schedule. Today's plan called for an hour run and 4000 yards of swimming. A couple of weeks ago I thought that I would sleep in a little, do my run, take kids to school, swim, then go to work. I scheduled working 11-2:30. But last night I noticed that the plan called for an hour of hills. So I set my clock for 3:45 so that I could run jail hill and thrill hill repeats for an hour and be ready to swim when the pool opened at 5:30.
My hill repeats were slow and I only got in 5.9 miles. But I felt good while doing them.
The swim was another continuous swim. The plan allowed 1:15 again. Guess since it had hills before hand it was cutting me some slack. I still didn't make the 1:15. 4000 yards in 1:23:59.
I got home in time to pack lunches and get the kids to school. After I dropped them off, I came home and TOOK A NAP!!! It was wonderful. I feel recharged.
Tomorrow is suppose to be a rest day but I am thinking of doing Saturdays 1200 continuous swim tomorrow. Making it to the pool on Saturdays is just so HARD. On the other hand I am doing the Music City Tri on Sunday and there is no swim on the plan for Sunday. Could I call that an even trade??? That would give me a rest day tomorrow AND Saturday!!! Hmmmm....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan to me....Good luck Sunday!

Wes said...

Definitely sounds like an even trade :-) I got up at 5 AM this morning, after five hours of sleep, for the first time in a LOOOONG time. Your blog post title was NOT something I wanted to see. Now excuse me, I'm napping at my desk :-) Zzzzzzzzz

Darrell said...

Its funny how we can bargain our way through a trainig session here and there.

The older I get the more I realize how nice a nap really is.

Eric said...

Naps are almost as good as sex LOL!!! I love me some nap time!!!