Thursday, April 12, 2007

Mother of the Year Award

I am getting a Mother of the Year Award.
The school called me Tuesday (while I was enjoying my alone time) to let me know that my daughter was in the office. Apparently one of the other little girls in here class reported to the lunch room ladies that my daughter did not have a sandwich in her lunch. So the school calls me to let me know that I did not pack an adequate lunch for my child. Never mind she had fruit. They tell me she can buy a lunch. So they put my child on the phone, who is sobbing, and I tell her to buy a lunch. She doesn't want to but I promise to take her for a special treat after school. I am not above bribery. The reason she did not have a sandwich in the lunch is because she won't eat them and I am sick of throwing them away every afternoon. I was unaware that they had a policy on lunches brought from home.
Then to top it all off, when I went to pick the kids up on Tuesday my son's teacher asked me when I was going to send home the permission slips for the baseball game field trip. What??? I didn't know I had to do that. I thought that I was just adding up reading points, collecting the money, and going on the field trip. So I went to the principal, got a sample letter, typed it up and handed it out today. Turns out I was suppose to have had the money turned in Tuesday. Oops. The lady at the Sounds is being very nice and helpful and I will get the tickets (I might have to drive to Nashville to get them but...)
As you can see I am very deserving of the mother of the year award, wonder when it will arrive.

Training? I am doing that too.
Wednesday morning I got up at 4:20 and ran for 30 minutes very slowly (3.1 miles) then did six 20 second strides. After the run, I went to the pool. I did 5x 200 (50 easy, 50 build, 50 easy, 50 hard) and a 150 cool down in 25:46. My splits were 4:40, 4:27, 4:22, 4:24, and 4:22.
Today, being a single working mom, I did my ride on the trainer after putting the kids to bed. The schedule called for easy spinning all in the small chain ring. 10 minute warm up, 5x (2t,1e), and 5 minute cool down. Since I was watching Survivor, that I had taped, I just continued to soft pedal for 30 more minutes.

7 comments:

Dubs said...

Nice workouts! :)

OK - that school stuff actually pisses me off... my sister got the same call about her son. They pull the kid out of lunch and embarass them all because their mother (this would be the person legally responsible for ensuring they are healthy - and trust me, he is solid - not fat or skinny - and quite healthy) makes a decision based on the child's entire life of eating habits. WHAT THE HELL!! If the kid has bruises all the time, is way to thin or fat - then fine - pull the PARENT aside and ensure all is okay, but leave the kids alone and find out the FACTS. ugh! I'm in your corner!! I'm voting for you as good Mom!

Phil said...

Does a tiara come with Mother of the Year?

So the nutrition nazis at your kid's school think that fruit is an inadequate lunch? This coming from an organization that, if anything like the schools in the west, offers only hyper fattening foods far a school lunch.

I don't eat sandwiches as a rule and I often only have fruit and and raw vegies for lunch (along with plenty of coffee) and I'd guess that I'm probably healthier than your average food service worker at an elementary school.

You stand your ground. You should be able to feed your children what you want to feed to them so tell those boozos to f@ck off. In fact, it's situations like this that make me thankful that God invented lawyers. I think a simple letter to the superintendent would quickly solve your problem

Anonymous said...

Some days it seems that whatever you do is not right....just remember, there is always tomorrow.

Joe said...

Oh my! Don't mess with those mighty lunch police!

Brooke said...

Whatever. That's silly to call your child out of the lunch room. Poor thing.

Laurie said...

No...you can't have that award...It CLEARLY goes to me. I make a firm example of why that is the case EVERY SINGLE DAY...so there! :)

E-Speed said...

wow I can't believe they called you about the sandwich. If your kid doesn't like sandwiches you shouldn't be forced to send them in with her. Bizarre!

I still think you're a great mom!