Friday, February 20, 2009

20 Miler Number 2 for the Pig

I am usually off work on Fridays. But yesterday my boss asked if I could work today. So my long run plans quickly changed. Instead of running at 8 after dropping the kids off at school, I got up at 4am to run.
.
I dressed in my cold gear, fleece hat, gloves, and vest, and my new Omni 7s. Because of the early start time, I didn't eat breakfast before my run. I just grabbed a small banana. That didn't seem like quite enough so I looked in the cabinet for an energy bar. We didn't have any but what I did see was a box of chips ahoy, the big chewy kind. I ate one...then another. 170 calories each, 340 calories plus the banana. That should be PLENTY.

When I got outside it hit me that is was COLD, 14 degrees to be exact. I wondered if I was under dressed this time, but just went with it.
I had to ball my hands inside my gloves for a bit because my fingers were freezing and my breath froze on my eyelashes again.
I didn't have a route planned and after running the first five decided to head for the hills. I haven't done a lot of hill training and I know The Pig has hills, better get some in. I ran Cracker Barrel Hill and Jail Hill and all the rollers in between. Goal pace was planned marathon pace (PMP) + 45 to 60 seconds again this week. I was a little concerned since my last 20 miler was run on flatter ground. I don't know if it was the pre run fueling or the new kicks, but something went right this morning. I ended up finishing in 3:09:25 a 9:28 overall pace! That is over 4 minutes faster then my 20 miler two weeks ago!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job! You've got in two 20 milers and I don't have any (yet). But there is still hope for me.

jen said...

Niiiiiice! The cookies must have worked just fine.

Marathon Maritza said...

Awesome!!!! GREAT pace!

I definitely think the key was chocolate chip cookies. Definitely, definitely cookies. :)

Marci said...

two twenty milers for the flying pig... you totally rock!

Missy said...

I like the cookies...What's the difference, I use fig newtons, they're just glorified cookies!?

MNFirefly said...

The cookies looks soooo yummmy!

monicac2 said...

Wooooow! You are definitely my HERO!

4a.m., a TWENTY miler, in the FREEZING COLD, and using cookies as fuel? WOW!!!!!