Monday, September 11, 2006

Monday + Speed + Solo = Yuck

I knew yesterday while riding that this morning speed work would not go well. I rode yesterday afternoon at about 4:30. I did the same loop Lana and I ran Friday for our long run and just added to it to get a total of 20.19 in 1:11:44. My legs were tired and I tried to push hard. I started stronger then I finished and at the end was just glad to be home.

This morning I woke up at 4:00 and didn’t fall back asleep until right before the alarm went off at 5:00. I hit snooze. I got up at 5:09 when the alarm went off again. I was moving slow and didn’t get out the door until almost 5:30. The plan called for 10-20 minute warm up, 5 x 1K with 400m rest, and a 10 minute cool down. Last night I decided to just run here in the neighborhood and programmed my Garmin with the correct distances. I didn’t even look at the plan to see my target pace so I was just going with how I felt. The warm up was 1.86 miles in 19:07, 10:19 pace. Then I started the 1K/400. They went like this:
1K-5:09
400 rest-4:25
1K-5:15
400 rest-4:12
1K-5:13
400 rest-4:26
1K-5:15
400 rest-4:30
1K-4:59
Cool down 0.98 in 10:12.
I missed target on every one of them. My legs felt like lead so I really don’t think I could have run them any faster this morning. Tomorrow is a cross training day and I really hoped to go for a 30 mile ride but I still don’t know if my legs are up for it.

Weather Update: My wetsuit came today therefore, temps will be on the rise here in middle Tennessee for the reminder of the week.

Marathon Update: I still haven’t picked my marathon. I tried really hard Saturday night to convince several of the girls that Vegas would be an awesome girls trip but I don’t think I got any takers.

3 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Way to get the run done. We all have days like that. Good job!

Phil said...

Nice negative split on the last 1K when your legs were feeling like crap. You may have missed your target, but you really gutted out the last 1k. Shows real internal strength.

I'm suprised that you can't find any of you friends to go with you to LV. What are they planning to do that weekend that would be more fun?

Anonymous said...

Good job gutting it out....
You can always go to Huntsville....