Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Winter?!?!?!?

It was cold (50 degrees) and dark at 5:00 this morning when I started my intervals. The sky was still full of stars and the moon was the tiniest sliver. I was glad I had long sleeves on and was wishing I had worn pants. Wasn’t I just lying by the pool Sunday drinking frozen margaritas??
The plan called for 10-20 minute warm up, 3 x1600 (1 minute rest interval), and 10 minute cool down.
My warm up was 2.06 miles in 20:56. I started the first interval immediately. I ran it in 8:28, 1 minute rest and a change of direction. Second interval took 8:07, another minute rest and change of direction again. The third interval took 8:10. One last 1 minute rest period and then the 1.03 cool down in 10:53. I was surprised when I saw my times. I felt so much better doing this workout then the last two times I did it back in August, yet my times were not better. Another workout where I missed target. Oh well, I felt great.
Tomorrow is a much needed rest day. My last rest day was Tuesday of last week, hmm wonder if that has anything to do with my missed targets Monday and today???? The Tri Sunday has really gotten my schedule messed up.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Awesome splits! It was MUCH colder where I am at. We woke up to 38 degree - making your temps much warmer.

Phil said...

Amazing workout Michele! Just loved the splits. I'm very impressed that you were able to hold the last 1600 right around 8:00. You were running on no rest with only 1 minute between intervals. I always recommend at least a 400m jog between 1600s, but 1 minute seems to be working for you. It will be interesting to see how you do on your next tempo run. I suspect that you'll be able to hold a very good pace.

Enjoy the cool weather.

Jenniferlyn said...

Way to go Michele on the splits!

I really need to work on my consistency - I am completely new to the world of speed training, but knwo that I need to get into it at somepoint - I just do not know where to start...