Friday, September 08, 2006

No Rest for the Lazy

Yesterday was suppose to be a rest day but last week I had more then my share of rest days and it was also my only chance to get a ride in. I met Tracy at her house and we did the loop out there. It was almost 23 miles and took just over an hour and a half. Tracy told me she likes riding with me on my rest days, I didn’t push her hard.

Today’s plan called for 17 miles. Lana need to be done by 9:00 so her husband could get to work, so she wanted to start at 6:00am. Today was Grandparent’s breakfast at my kids’ school and my mom was coming to eat with my kids. I am also doing scrapbooks for 6 kids (much better then the 13 last year) and I wanted pictures. My wonderful husband took over. He got the kids to school at 7:00 to meet my mom and then hung around to take pictures of the other kids too. In the meantime, Lana and I pounded out our 17 miles. I picked the route. We did the Matt’s Hollow route that I ride sometimes. Only problem was that I miscalculated and we ended up finishing about a mile from my house. So we walked that mile and called it cool-down. Otherwise the run went good. I tried to focus on the positives and not how bad my toe hurts. I am really glad that I was able to work it out to run with Lana because I don’t know if I would have made it on my own. We talked and that really kept me from getting bored and thinking too much about the aches and pains. That last mile and a half was the hardest. I begged Lana to tell me a fun story but instead she reminded me of how that part of the run was the part that was making us the strongest. Lana’s Garmin was beeping her miles about 0.06 miles before mine. I told her I HAD to run until my Garmin said 17. She gutted it out with me and when my Garmin beeped we stopped. 17 miles in 2:46:09, 9:46 pace. Right on target!

If anyone is wondering what the weather will be like in middle Tennessee for the next week, expect a heat wave. Why you ask. I just ordered a wetsuit out of fear of water temps being low enough on the 17th. Now that I have it on its way, the water will stay just above the legal limit. The good news is I got a GREAT deal, so I won’t be too upset.

4 comments:

Rae said...

Great job on the 17! Have you picked your marathon yet? I'm still thinking about doing Memphis!

Anonymous said...

I know it feels good to get you 17 miler behind you. Mine is tomorrow! Thanks for the update on the weather.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Thanks for running with me!!! Too bad about your toe...ouch.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with the "I Run For the Party 5k". Wish I could make it but I'm done for the week!