Friday, September 22, 2006

Week 5 (or is it 6) - The Long Run

Yesterday was a scheduled rest day, so I rested.

This morning, I met Lana at the Rec Center at 6am. The plan called for 18 miles and I let Lana pick the route since I picked the 17 miler 2 weeks ago (and got us out too far).

Next time I will think twice before letting Lana pick the route. We didn’t go out too far this time but it was HILLY. Then there was the wind. On my way to the Rec Center, I noticed how the flags and trees were blowing. Lana and I quickly decided that despite the wind, it was warm enough to just run in our tanks. I ate a gel and we chatted with Amy, who we saw making her turn around in the parking lot. Amy headed back out for the 1.5 mile run home and we started our 18 miles.

Lana and I chatted and time and miles were going by quickly. As we were running down Old Woodbury Highway, a truck stopped in the middle of the road and a guy gets out. Lana says “Is that Ronnie?” I said “No, his truck is red.” We continued running toward the guy wondering what in the world he was doing. Turns out it was Joe, we were about to pass his house.

It rained on us a few times and the wind felt like it would blow us backwards at times but we trekked on. We made one porta-potty stop along the way and saved a turtle crossing the road. The wind seemed to always be a head wind on the uphill making them even tougher. When we got to the steep hill behind Cracker Barrel at mile 16, we laughed at the leaves as they blew past us. Another hill with a head wind, but we managed to run it (a feat without any wind). As we were approaching the Rec Center and another short uphill, I asked Lana “How do you spell hellacious?” She laughed and knew I was thinking about my blog and how to describe the wind today.

I really felt good for the whole run, I think this might have been my best long run ever.

We had to do a short out and back on the greenway to get 18 miles. Total time 2:57:55, pace 9:53. I think that is within the target pace.

As a reward for a good run, I went to Sonic and got a slush. Yummy!!!!

When I got home, I tried to take an ice bath but just couldn’t make myself. I put a few inches of cold tap water in the tub and got in. I just couldn’t pour the ice in. I really never even got all the way in. I ended up in the hot shower and using my samples of Biofreeze instead.

Have a great weekend!!

7 comments:

Rae said...

Great job on the LR! Today was WINDY!!! I am not looking forward to my long run tomorrow!!

Happy Fall!

MNFirefly said...

Great job!! Awesome!

Phil said...

18 miles in the wind ... you rock! Must be nice to have a friend to run with though. Great job.

Have a great weekend.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Awesome run Michele!!! I loved it! The next time, stop at the market and buy a bag of ice - that's what I did...it's not as easy to opt out of the ice bath when you just paid for the ice. ;)

Anonymous said...

Good job on the long run. Getting in the tub and then running the cold water makes it easier.

Lance Notstrong said...

Biofreeze is some great stuff. A massage therapist gave me some samples :-)

I'm new to the ice bath, but I think it works. Just treat it like a cold pool and dive in all at once :-)

Papa Louie said...

So cool you have a running buddy to run long. Congratulations on your long run!