Sunday, July 01, 2007

Evening Brick

Friday I sent Lana a text message to see if she wanted to do a brick on Saturday. Then I left my phone in the house and forgot to check it before bed.
She had replied that she wanted to do a 30-35 mile ride and a 5 mile run at 6:00am.
I saw the message at 9:00am Saturday. I replied that I was sorry I missed her.
Turns out she didn’t go so we made plans to do it at 5:30 Saturday evening.I am not use to evening workouts and after a day of yard work all I wanted to do was join Ronnie with a cold one. I was really glad that I had made plans with Lana otherwise the workout would NOT have gotten done.

So about 6 Lana shows up at my house and we decide on a route and take off.

My legs were really burning and I was struggling to keep up for the first 8-10 miles. I don’t know if Lana slowed a lot or I managed to speed up but we stayed together for the rest of the ride.

This was mostly new territory for me and Lana had picked it because of a hill. Thankfully it was a downhill. She warned me that it was pretty steep and curvy. Then so did this sign. I rode my brakes pretty hard. I want to go back and ride this hill some more. The pavement is smooth and there isn’t a lot of traffic. I think we could get some major speed.
The scenery was beautiful. We were way out in the country. As was made a curve we saw a rooster crossing the street. We stopped so that I could take his picture. Just after I took it, his buddy came out to the street. This was one giant bird. At first we were unsure what he was then we determined that he was a turkey, a huge turkey.When we made it back to Maple Springs Road we had the wind at our backs and it was down hill, no wonder I was struggling so hard at the first part of the ride.

.
We finished with 32.15 miles in 1:54:21. Average speed of 16.9 mph (that counts the picture taking stops).

Back at my house we changed shoes and got told once again by my husband how insane we are.

We ran my same old loop. It was dark. On Wayside Road both Lana and I swallowed a bug at the same time and started choking. It took us some time to recover and both us complained about bug parts the rest of the run.

We took out to fast and I was paying for it. I tried to convince Lana that 5 miles was excessive but she would not listen. By the time we made it back to my neighborhood I was ready to be done. We made the final loop and stopped as soon as Garmin said 5 miles. 45:18, 9:03 pace.

I took off my heart rate monitor and discovered that I had picked up a huge beetle type bug. He was clinging to my sports bra and I could not get him off. I held my bra out and Lana smacked at him twice before finally knocking him onto my chest. I screamed and knocked him off and onto her arm.

We finally made it back to my house. I grabbed a couple of cold ones from the fridge and Lana and I jumped into the pool. Man that water felt GREAT. We sat on the pool steps and drank our recovery drinks.

Lana decided to just leave her bike here instead of trying to get it back up on top of her car. I think I am going to hide it from her for trying to kill me last night!!!

Today has already started off as a lazy day. I hope to get motivated later and swim some laps. My pool is only 40 feet long so it is hard to really swim laps here. But I guess it is better then nothing

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good to see that I'm not the only one crazy enough to do late afternoon workouts.

Lance Notstrong said...

"Recovery drinks"? :-) I need to try that!!!

I bet your neighbors thought it was weird to see one woman "swatting" at the other womans chest LOL!!!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

WhatEVER. YOU pushed ME during that entire run. It was a great workout though!!!

jen said...

That sounds so hard, but pretty fun! Especially the dip in the pool and the cold recovery drinks. Aaaah. Way to go girls!

Kate said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a summer evening (especially the beer..)

Unknown said...

You stuck it out even though you wanted to quit. You always manage to do that. Impressive, as always!

Rae said...

Great job!! Wild turkeys freak me out! I'm not sure what it is, but I am not a fan! Happy 4th!