Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Civic Duty

OK, as if training for a marathon, working, and having two kids doesn’t make me busy enough, let’s throw in jury duty.

Yesterday I had to be at the court house at 3:00 for jury pool. I picked the kids up from school when the bell rang at 2:40 and rushed to the court house. They explained how it all works. I will be “on call” from yesterday until Nov 6th. Then they told us, “oh, by the way, we have trial tomorrow. And just to show you how random and fair this all is we are going to pick the 25 people for tomorrow’s jury pool right now” And of course whose name did they pull??? You got it, me.
So, I called my boss and told him. I am a contract employee, I don’t work, I don’t get paid. Oh, except for that $10 a day jury pay. So I am really hoping that when I show up at court today, I don’t make it to the 12 on the jury and I can go to work.

Other then the hassle of jury duty life and training have been moving forward.

Saturday- 20 mile ride
I did a short flat ride Saturday when Ronnie got home from golf at about 2:00. I averaged 16.9 mph. We went to Kim’s surprise b-day party that night so I knew I wasn’t getting up early Sunday morning for my 8 miles.

Sunday-8 mile run
It was 3:30 before Ronnie got home and HOT. I ran 8 but it was slow.

Monday- 8 mile VO2 Max
Our first VO2 max run of the program. I met Lana at the Rec Center at 4:30. We ran over to the middle school, about 3 miles, and slid through the gates to get on the track. I wish I had a picture of us trying to squeeze in that fence. We then ran 5 x 600 with 90 second jog between sets. Slid back trough the gates which was harder on tired legs and ran the 3 miles back to the Rec Center.

Tuesday-5 mile recovery
I met Tracy, Amy and Mary Beth at the Rec Center at 5:00am. Lana was a no show. We ran a 3 mile loop and then a two mile loop on the greenway and town. Amy had just run her first 7 mile run a few days before so she was tired and dropped off after the 3 miles. Mary Beth thought about dropping off too but hung in there and finished all 5 miles. It is so great to run with these girls and watch as they get stronger and faster.

Wednesday- rest cross train
Last night we went out for Lana and Amy’s birthdays. So again, no getting up early think it will be a rest day.
Guess I better get to jury duty. Cross your fingers they don’t pull my name.

7 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

Just tell them you believe in the death penalty for ALL crimes. They'll send you home :-)

Lisa said...

I'm crossing my fingers you don't have to deal with this jury stuff. :)

jen said...

Great job on the runs lately, Michele!

Hope you don't get the jury duty, ugh.

Rae said...

HA! Remind me not to stand you up, I don't want to the bold "no show" treatment!! Maybe I should not commit any crimes down there either for a while! =0

Enjoy jury duty!

MNFirefly said...

I have only done jury duty ONCE and that was for 3 BORING weeks. Bring the coffee!

crazy tri mama said...

I agree with Lance.

The only way I've ever gotten out of it was to show up with my newborn and threaten to whip out the human bottle to feed him. Wow, that really got me out of there fast!!

Good Luck!

Phil said...

That first V02max run is a lot of fun on the Pfitz plan. You're doing great!