Sunday, October 28, 2007

Week 13??!! Already

Man, time is flying now.
Here it is week 13, the end of October.
Ironman Florida is Saturday and Sunday I secure a spot for next year. I am nervous just thinking about it.

Anyway, marathon training...
as a single mom, today I had to ask my neighbor for a favor. Actually I called to get her daughter to babysit but she offered to just have my kids come over and play with her son. So at about 11:00 I took my kids next door and told her husband that I was running 8 miles but would just do loops of our neighborhood. If he needed me just flag me down.
I really dreaded the idea of running loops of the neighborhood but luckily there are two slightly different ways to run a mile. So I alternated. I am sure the whole neighborhood thinks I am insane, but that isn't new. At least this time I wasn't riding my trainer in my driveway with my helmet on!!!
I started slow, but really wanted to get done as fast as possible so I wouldn't have to impose on my neighbors for long.
It was fairly windy. When the sun was out and the wind was at my back, I was comfortable in my shorts and long sleeve shirt but when the clouds took over and the wind became a head wind I was cold.
I pushed a little hard for a general aerobic run and finished the 8 miles in 1:11:35 8:57 pace. My average heart rate was 159 but maxed out at 174. A lot of that last mile was at the higher end.
My husband will finally return tomorrow but not until later in the day. So my 9 mile VO2 max run will have to be done after work sometime. I have sent Lana sleepy thoughts in hopes that she sleeps in tomorrow and has to run with me in the evening. I don't want to break and enter at the track alone!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 40 days to Rocket City! It will be here before we know it. Sometimes scheduling the run around other obligations is the hardest part of running. You are doing GREAT!

Lisa said...

Huntsville is notorious for headwinds. So, you got in "headwind training". Good job!

MNFirefly said...

Great pace, Michele!

Zach said...

Nice job on the 8 miles and great pace. Good work running in the rain on Saturday too - so many people would just use the cold and rain as an excuse to put it off. Nice to see that you pushed through and got it done (especially since you were running solo!)

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job on the 8! You DO NOT need me to keep your pace - that's crazy!!!