Friday, October 05, 2007

Week 9 - Halfway

Today marks the end of week nine and also make us halfway done with the training program. I love the halfway mark. It just always feels good to me to get to that halfway point of anything. It’s a milestone. So I was very excited to get today’s run done and reach that halfway point.

But first, yesterday...6 miles with Lana, Mike and Joe. Recovery run. We ran a slight different route and it finally worked out to be exactly 6. We finished with 6 x 100 strides. The 6 miles took 56:38, 9:26 pace. I had some slight stomach issues again.

OK, now about the long run. On tap for today, 15 miles with 12 at marathon pace. I met Lana at the Rec Center. We got started at 4:50, Lana had some sleep vs alarm clock issues ;)
The first 3 miles of warm up were tough (10:17, 9:40, 9:35) and I questioned if I could do 12 at pace. When that third mile beeped we picked it up some. I was fine for a while but in the end I just couldn’t do it. My pace was too slow and I was so mad at myself. Lana wasn’t that far ahead but I just couldn’t catch her.
9:04, 9:05, 9:12, 9:14, 9:14, 8:55, 9:16, 9:28, 9:35, 9:33, 9:33, 9:29
Goal pace was 9:09.
I am very frustrated, I was feeling really good about the training but know I am full of doubt.
I know everyone has bad runs, how many times have I left that comment, but it is so much harder to deal with when it is your bad run. And the fact that is was a goal pace run and I failed makes me really question if I have a sub 4 in me.
Either way, I am done with week 9 and have 9 weeks left. Next week is recovery and the following week with be a 55 mile week (the highest).

8 comments:

E-Speed said...

was this your first at pace attempt? Three of those miles were well under your pace, those may have come back to bite you the last couple of miles. I think you gals have a sub 4 in you. Don't fret yet! You still have 9 weeks!

Anonymous said...

You are doing great. It was warm and humid this morning. Remember, last year the temp was 17 degrees at the start of the Rocket City Marathon! The temperature will make a lot of difference. The pace runs give you an opportunity to focus on running an even pace in addition to running at your target. When it is warmer than normal, make an adjustment and then focus on running even splits.

You are going to do great and hopefully I'll be there to see you break 4 hours.

MNFirefly said...

Great job, Michele.

Kate said...

Running at pace is ALWAYS hard in training, especially early on (which halfway definitely is). You're in much better shape than I was two months out from my race, and I sincerely hope I will be able to break 4!!

Tri-Dummy said...

You can pull a sub-4. Don't forget, you can't train for race day adrenaline.

TJ said...

It doesn't look like you were too far off of pace and you still have 9 weeks. Enjoy the halfway point and know all the training will pay off come race day.

Anonymous said...

It has been very warm...keep it up...I bet you will get that sub-4...especially in Huntsville...great course for a PR!

Zach said...

Don't let it bother you at all - those runs are what make you tougher and more determined in the end. :)

How are the new shoes working out?