Monday, June 04, 2007

Why Does Good News Always Have to Come With Bad News???

Yesterday I took a post race rest day.

This morning I planned to do speed work but last night I remembered that I had scheduled a VO2 and body fat test for this afternoon. No workout for 24 hours prior to test. Darn, I HAD to sleep in.

So I went for my tests this afternoon. That is where I got some good news…and some BAD news.

First we did the VO2 test. I was happy with the results. My peak VO2 was 47.2, putting me in the superior fitness level.

Next up the body fat test. It was done in a dunk tank. He told me that air counts as body fat so let out as much air as I could. I just could NOT let out all the air. But enough of the excuses, my body fat is a whooping 26.3%!!!!

I did learn that I have been working out at too high of a heart rate to burn fat. I need to slow down and eat less!! Also my desired weight just isn’t going to happen. I need to lose about 20 pounds and that should get me to about 15% body fat. So the new plan, slow down, burn fat, and count calories!!!

7 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Wow! Interesting information from the body fat comp. I never would have thought that.

Phil said...

Great race Michele and a fantastic improvement over last year. I don't know how you do it. I've never been able to get off a bike and run as fast as you can.

So your body fat is 26%. How do you feel??? You're in better shape than 99.999999% of the women in this country and could pound most of the guys (me included) in the ground with the training regiment you maintain.

I had noticed that you train at a very high heart rate, but that isn't necessarily indicative of training outside your aerobic range. It just means you don't fit the "normal" table. I'd suggest that you talk to a professional trainer before making any adjustments to your training.

Brooke said...

I'm in the same boat, only my bod fat is higher than yours.

Here's to counting calories. (raises a bottled water)

Lance Notstrong said...

I think almost everyone works out at too high of a HR. And no one ever knows until they see a professional. I didn't until I signed on with CTS. I guess it's just human nature to want to "hammer" :-)

Rae said...

Where did you get tested at? That sounds like pretty cool information, although I doubt I would want to know my body fat % either!!!

Unknown said...

Michele...it doesn't show when looking at you. Seriously. Best of luck with the calorie counting and less intense, fat burning training. I'm making diet changes myself...so I'll follow yours eagerly.

E-Speed said...

isn't it funny you have to slow down to burn fat? Seems silly, you work you butt off you should lose weight it seems but I guess this is a good excuse to take it easy sometimes!