Thursday, August 24, 2006

Answers

Today was a scheduled rest day so I have no workouts to report on. But I have been asked about my training program, so I will try to answer those questions now.

I went with the FIRST Program because of the cross training days. I still have one more Olympic Distance Triathlon in September and I want to continue swimming and cycling this fall/winter while training for this marathon.

For the Country Music Marathon that I did in April I used the Cool Runnings program. It was a 20 week program running 6 days a week. I got burned out and I feel like I peaked too soon. On the week of the 20 mile run I ran it on Thursday with Tracy then again on Saturday with Lana. I feel like if that would have been marathon week I would have kicked butt. As it turned out, I bonked on the 26 mile training run and then on race day I did not perform as well as I felt I could have. I ran it in 4:25:05. I am not unhappy with that time; I am just disappointed in performance. I felt that I had much better training runs.

As far my mileage for the year, the running miles have dropped since March. That was the start of taper for CMM and then after that I started Triathlon training. My first Triathlon was a month later. I have done 5 sprint distance tri’s, one Olympic distance tri and one duathlon so far this summer. So while my running mileage HAS decreased my cycling and swimming mileage have increased. I am still training 6 days a week.

All of my races are in the sidebar. That is it my lifetime history.

Tomorrow is my 2nd attempt at the 13 miles. I heading out at 5:00am and have to be home in time to get the kids to school so I will HAVE to push myself.

Saturday is the Old Timers Day 5k. The picture in my profile was taken, by Lana’s Dad, at this race last year. Thankfully they moved the race from 8:00 to 7:00. Last year it was SO hot, in case you can’t tell from the look of near death on my face. Both my kids will be doing the kids race Saturday also.

Thanks for the comments, support, and advice!!!!

2 comments:

Rae said...

Good luck with the long run and the race this weekend!!!

Phil said...

Michele ... thanks for the update. Best of luck on your 13 miler on Friday. I'm anxious to hear how you do.

Thanks for the update on your training program. I went back an re-read your race history. You had a real nice 1/2 marathon in March so I can see why you were disappointed in your Marathon performance a month later; however, you DID run 26 miles.

You've certainly been busy this summer. Just how do you participate in a triathlon nearly every weekend in July and live to talk about it. I'd be little more than a puddle of sweat if I tried such a thing.

I'll keep reading and try to keep my comments to less than 500 words :) I also appreciate your words of encouragement on my blog.

Have a great race this weekend.