Monday, August 21, 2006

Week 1 – Intervals Try 2

After that lousy long run on Friday, I have started over. Memphis is out, shooting for Vegas. I still haven’t checked to see if I can get a sitter so Vegas might still not be possible, but I will train. Today was intervals, 3x1 mile with 1 minute rest. I met Lana at the Junior High track and we were locked out. They had some paint buckets stacked up blocking the gap in the gate. We moved the buckets and slid right in.
The plan called for:
10-20 minute warm up
3x1mile with 1 minute rest
10 minute cool down
The actual:
Warm up 1.99 miles in 20.42 heart rate 154 (included moving the soccer goal off the track that we couldn’t see in the dark until we got close and a short walk before starting the first interval)
1st mile 7:58 heart rate 171
2nd mile 7:47 heart rate 173
3rd mile 8:11 heart rate 175
Cool down 1 mile 9:38 heart rate 162
I do have issues with the numbers because while Lana’s Garmin would beep BEFORE she got back to the start on the 4th lap I had to run PAST the start on 2 of my 3 miles.
Garmin reports my max heart rate to have been 182. This was my first time to wear the heart rate monitor. I don’t even know my resting heart rate.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Michele ... cool splits, especially the second mile. You can get an idea on appropriate HR from any of the Heart Rate Calculators floating around on the internet.

You're right to question the Garmin. It doesn't like to turn and the faster you go around the track, the worse it will get, I don't pay any attention to the distance on mine while doing track work, but I do use it as a watch since it has LARGE numbers.

Best of luck training for Las Vegas.