Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Week 1 - Cross Train and Tempo

Yesterday"s plan was to get up early and ride. It stormed during the night. And when the alarm went off at 5:15, it was still dark. So I set the alarm for 5:30. When it went off, it was still very dark. I gave up on the early ride idea. I got the kids off to school and then headed out on my bike. I rode the loop that I attempted for my long run Friday except I didn’t ride the neighborhoods so that made it only 11+ miles. When I was riding down Pete Sain Road, I passed a moving vehicle. OK it was one of those big tractor type things with the bush hog arm on the side to mow the ditches but he had an engine and was not cutting grass when I pedaled past him. As I came back around, it was starting to rain but I headed out on a second loop for a total of 23.83 miles in 1:23:34 average speed 17.1.

This morning I got up at 4:45 and headed out for a tempo run. The plan called for 2 miles easy, 2 miles @ ST, and 2 miles easy. I ran the miles as follows: 1-9:40, 2-9:36, 3-8:33, 4-8:36, 5-9:42, and 6-9:33. My ST pace SHOULD have been 8:08. Missed again! This plan says “Pacing is a crucial component to this training program.” I am on my second attempt of week 1 and haven’t hit pace yet. Things are not looking good for me! Maybe I am not ready to attempt a second marathon.

2 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

OMG you passed a moving vehicle!! That is hilarious! And definitely good for the confidence. You go girl!

Phil said...

Michele ... I read your training program and I'm a little confused. It looks like it has you only running 3 days a week with relatively low mileage each week with some sort of speed work (tempo runs, intervals, etc) for nearly every run. What I don't see in the plan is anywhere that you actually build up your base and improve your overall stamina before you start working on speed and strength type exercises.

What got you interested in using this plan vs a more traditional approach? Did you use this plan for your previous marathon? Is it working for you? If so, great .. if not, you may want to look at an other approach.

I just started following your blog(great writing btw) and haven't gone back through your journal to get a sense of your history. But looking at your training log one would get the impression that you've been tapering off since March (I plotted your total mileage per week for this year). Worse yet, I've seen you go out and beat yourself up because you've finished considerable off the mark defined in the Plan.

I also took a look at your average pace for your training runs. I don't use the same log, so I assume that these are your easy daily runs. Your pace improve until June and has been going back up since then. It could be that the heat is really kicking you in the head and you'll start improving again as soon as this summer ends.

You've got plenty of time to train for your next marathon, make sure you've got something that's working for you and leaves you feeling great after a workout.

I wish you well on your next run. Hope it's a fun one.