Saturday, August 19, 2006

Starting Over

Thursday was a scheduled rest day, so that is what I did.

Friday The Plan called for 13 miles at planned marathon pace + 30 seconds.
I have changed my work schedule so I was off. I took the kids to school and saw Laurie on my way out. We chatted for half an hour about all the drama in her life. Then I went home and got ready to run. All this made it 9:00 before I headed out. It was already 93 degrees and humid. I wore my fuel belt and it was driving my crazy. The first 4 miles went fine with paces between 9:15 and 9:55. After that, things fell apart. There was no shade and I was dying. I was already getting low on fluids (I had 2 6oz bottles of water and 1 of Gatorade). I WALKED, I continued getting farther away from home. The rest of the run was a combination of walking a slow running. There was a total of about 1 mile on the whole run that had shade. I ended up getting too far out and the total distance was 13.84 miles. UGGGG!
When I got home I grabbed a bottle of Gatorade, pulled off my shoes and electronics and hit the pool. I just laid on the steps and let the water jet hit me in the back for about 5 minutes. Relation time over, I had to go to Wal-mart for a birthday gift.
I called Lana and told her I was out. No Memphis, No Vegas!!!! She tried to convince me that Vegas would be great. I could start all over next week, get the 16 weeks of training in, and forget all about this horrible run.
I talked to Ronnie about Vegas. Dec 9th happens to be out Anniversary (12 years). We have not been on a trip, just the two of us, since we had kids because we don’t have anyone to keep the kids. I found out that the neighbors Aunt, who keeps our kids whenever we are going to be out late, does weekend sitting. It is under consideration.
So next week I am going to eat better, get more sleep, and start over.

7 comments:

E-Speed said...

we all have those kinds of runs. Rest up this week and start fresh!

teacherwoman said...

Don't give up! Just get some rest and refresh your mind! Next week will be better!

Anonymous said...

It has been a long hot summer.... I am ready for a cool September. Read an article a couple of years ago in Runner's World about running in the heat and humidity of summer. It said that if you can make it through the heat, you will feel "super charged" when it cools down in the fall. That promise has gotten me through many a run.... hang in there!

Rae said...

Ugh! Today was miserable. It was just TOO hot! I can't wait for fall, winter/spring training is so much better!!!

Phil said...

You think that perhaps the 93F temperatures with high humidity had anything to do with you hitting the wall? I was very impressed that you kept going and didn't give up. You had an off run this morning .. OK .. that happens to everyone. Once this summer finally breaks and a human can go out and run without melting, you'll be feeling much better.

You're a tough runner. I would have simply walked home as soon as I bonked (I say this from actual experience). You didn't. Get some rest and pray for cooler weather.

Brooke said...

Go on your trip!! You will have fun. I promise.
Just take a deep breath and start over.

Junie B said...

NO QUITTING!!!
hang in there!!!!!!!1