Sunday, August 27, 2006

Old Timers Day 5K

Saturday was the Old Timers Day 5k here in Manchester. I have run this race the past two years and gotten 3rd in my age group both times but yesterday morning I knew I didn’t have it in me.
I got up at 5:45, got myself ready, and woke the kids up at 6:00 to get them ready. We left for the Rec Center at 6:30. The race started at 7:00 which was a lot better then last year 8:00 start time. It was hot and I was feeling drained from Friday’s long run.
All the racers lined up at the start and were off at the “Go”. It was quite congested in the beginning but thinned out once we got to the highway. When we got to the State Park we all got a nice surprise… The gates were closed. We had to jump the arms that block the drive. We ran into the park to the turn around and then had to jump the gates again on our way out. I actually just stopped, stepped over, and then started running again. The guy in front of me took it like a hurdle, I was impressed.
Lana’s sister Holly passed me at about the two and a half mile mark so I fought to stay with her. I ended up crossing the finish line in 26:38, behind Holly.

After the 5k they had a mini mile race for the smaller kids. Both my kids entered. At go they both took off and I jogged behind them. They soon got out of sight and Tracy and I just walked until we saw Bryce coming back. I ran back in with him and he finished 10th overall.
Then Bryce and I ran back out to catch up with Casey and we ran back in with her. She finished 15th. They both did great and I am so proud of both of them.


After the race we went home and got cleaned up for the festival. The kids played games and played on/in the inflatable while I roasted in the heat. After I took all the heat I could stand we went and watched Tracy’s daughter in the beauty pageant.
We went home to rest for an hour before football practice. It was the first practice with full pads. They kept them out there for two and a half HOURS!!! These are 5, 6, and 7 year olds! INSANE!
We rushed from football practice to meet some friends for dinner then we went to the fireworks. Casey took some great pics of the fireworks with my phone but since I don’t know how to get them off that is just where they will stay!
Since Ronnie is out of town and I couldn’t find a sitter today, I took the day off. Tomorrow will be an off day too since Ronnie will still be gone and I have to work, followed by gymnastics and then football. By the time we get home it will be too late for anyone to come watch the kids for me. Not a good start to my workout week!

5 comments:

Brooke said...

What a crazy day. 2 hours with full pads is a bit extreame. I hope they kept the kids really well hydrated.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Nice job Michele! Great report. I had forgotten to mention about the gates being closed!! (how many seconds should we be able to deduct for that?ha!)
Also, you should have noted the fact that you had done 13 miles the day before.

Dubs said...

Greatp pictures - sounds like a fun time! Good job on the race.

Lance Notstrong said...

That football practice is insane!!! Some people take that stuff WAY to serious at such a young age.

Lana, I thought the same thing about the gates. I read your report and remembered you didn't mention the gates. That's a big detail to forget!!! :-)

Rae said...

Great job with the 5K! Last weekend was so hot, I can't believe their practice lasted so long!