Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Catching Up

That is the story of my life right now. I have been so busy just trying to catch up. But with both kids in soccer, one in football, and the other in cheerleading AND gymnastics, I can't keep my head above water.

Ronnie got back Monday night, so that put an end to my workout excuses. After two days of no exercise, I met Tracy at her house for a ride. We did a new route that she and her husband had ridden Sunday. It was about 23 miles. I wore my Garmin for the first time on my bike so that I could get an idea of my heart rate. After about 18 miles I noticed that my heart rate was only 130ish, so I decided to push it for the last 5 miles. It worked and I got my heart rate higher. I ended up leaving Tracy and turned around once to meet back up with her, passed her, then pushed to catch back up again. Then I wasn't paying attention and rode right past her house. So in total, I ended up with 24.2 miles in 1:30:05. My heart rate averaged 136, with a max 170.



This morning I got up at 4:45 for my 7 mile tempo run. The Plan called for 1 mile easy, 5 miles at marathon pace, and 1 mile easy. I decided that I would just run loops of my neighborhood since it was still dark and quite foggy. The first easy mile was just that, EASY, 9:45. I picked it up when Garmin beeped. 1st tempo mile 8:41, "Oops that is a little fast, don't want to run out of steam." 2nd tempo mile 8:58, "Right on pace". 3rd tempo mile 9:07, "Oops too slow, need to pick it back up". 4th tempo mile 8:57, "Much better, back on pace". 5th tempo mile 8:34, "I just want this over!" 1 mile easy 9:44. "Done!!!" Average heart rate 164, max 178.

6 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That was a great tempo run, Michele! Very consistent splits.

Phil said...

Michele ... great ride and congrats on the HR. You are really in great shape. I envy you running in the fog. That's so peaceful. We never get fog in Phoenix.

Nice tempo run. Although very boring, have you tried this on a track. It might give you a chance to get a feel for your MP cadence by trying to hit ever 400M in the same time instead of trying to hit mile marks. Once you get a feel for a nice and steady pace, you can get back out on the rode.

Just a thought.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Good job....sounds like you are getting in the training groove.

Brooke said...

I feel the same way about trying to catch up, and my second hasn't even started yet. (next week) We'll mutter through, like always. Great job on the tempo run!!

Gotta Run..... said...

Michele.. Great job on the tempo. Life is always for busy when you have chidren. It can get crazy but isn't it fun!!

Robin

Dubs said...

Nice workout! Even when you were off, it wasn't by too much - pretty consistent.

Random comment that I'm sure you all know - if you do it on the track - be sure to switch directions every mile or so... I had my metatarsal arch fall in high school because I kept running the same direction. Not too big a deal, just had to tape a support on my foot for a month or so. As we get older, we could get other injuries tho.

My first of 5 running injuries - ironically 2 were since I've become an "old fart".