Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Motivated Lana

Turns out the air conditioning was out yesterday at the Rec Center so classes were canceled last night.

Lana and I made plans for a 25 mile ride and a 4 mile run this morning. Since we are both without Garmins, we needed a known 4 mile route to run. We decided to ride the 20 mile Normandy route and add 5 miles to it and then run an out and back from her house. She sent me an email that said “If you are cool with taking off at 5 a.m., I will turn into motivated Lana and promise to be ready.” When my alarm went off at 4:30 I sure was not liking motivated Lana much. When I got to Lana’s house sure enough she was up and outside getting ready to ride. Damn that motivated Lana!!! It was still DARK at 5 but we took off on our ride. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Nothing happened to us but it was dark and spooky and not very safe. We both had flashing lights on the back of our bikes but that didn’t help any with seeing where we were going. We hit the first downhill that has a big curve in it while it was still dark so we took it nice and slow. Lana’s original plan was to add the 5 miles by heading down toward the lake but it was still too dark at that point so we just stuck with the normal route and thought we would add some mileage in town. It finally got light about 5:20ish. I realized about 6 miles into the ride that I never started my computer so I have no time. Oh well, it was not the best performance since we went so slowly in the beginning in the dark. We forgot to add mileage while in town so ended up just doing an out and back from Lana’s house to get the extra 5 miles.
Back at Lana’s we changed shoes and headed out on the run. Ugg! Once I got past the dead leg feeling the run was fine. 4 miles in 35:25, 8:51 pace.
Back at Lana’s, she filled up my water bottle and I went to leave. I spotted her Rudy Project sunglasses on the bumper of her car. Knowing this is how she lost her Garmin; I grabbed them and knocked on her door. In the process her dog got out. We ended up chasing him to the end of her street.
I finally got in the car and headed home. I got the kids up and dressed, changed into a dry t-shirt and shorts and we walked up to the school. Today was registration. Both kids got the teachers I wanted for them so we are very excited. First day of school is Friday. I am still bummed that summer vacation is over. We walked home from school and are planning what to do for out last two days of vacation.
Captain Jack is still living in my house. At least he didn’t go to school this morning.
I have got to make a decision. Fall creek Falls or Music City. I have until tomorrow. I am thinking Music City but then I go alone. Lana can’t go that weekend and Kim is not ready to try an Olympic distance yet.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Why is everyone so bummed about school starting??? I, for one, am thrilled!!

:) said...

My son starts school on the 15th and we still don't know if he got the "good" teacher yet...keeping the fingers crossed.

Great ride. I never leave the house until it is at least somewhat light out. Too dangerous!

Fast run off the bike :)

mouse said...

WHY DOES SCHOOL START SO EARLY THESE DAYS?!? I swear when I was in grade/high school we didn't start until the end of August or beginning of September. geez.

great job on getting the bike/run in. I tried to get up at 5 yesterday to get a run in and couldn't make myself get out of bed. motivated lana needs to move to Michigan.

Anonymous said...

Compaired to the heat in the afternoon, I think I'd take the dark in the morning, but the past few days haven't been that cool in the mornings either.

Good job getting the ride and the run in.