Friday, March 02, 2007

Doubt

Today was the first time I have questioned what I am doing, if I am capable, and I don’t like it.

I got to sleep in, 6:00. I took the kids to school and went to work until noon. By 12:30 I was changed and ready to run. The plan called for a 30 minute run and a 75 minute ride (10 minute warm up, 4 x (12 tempo, 3 rest) and a 5 minute cool down). I felt fine on the run despite the horrible wind. Damn March Lion. But at least I was outside and not on that stupid track. I ran 3.42 miles for an 8:46 pace. Then I got on the trainer. I started out watching Flushed Away but quickly decided that I needed more of a push. I changed the CD to Spinervals No Slackers Allowed. Heck with the plan, at least it was intervals. I started out ok but quickly started slacking. I could not get my cadence up and keep it up. My legs were tired and I really started to question if I had 56 miles in me. Can I really do this thing or have I bitten off more then I can chew? The more I questioned myself the less push I had. By the end of the DVD, my cadence was so low the pedals were almost not turning. I hate this self doubt and hope it goes away soon.
After the mediocre ride, I picked the kids up from school, said good bye to the “vice” (student) teacher, and came home to lie on the couch trying to nap with the kids playing/fighting. The napping thing went about as well as the ride. Tomorrow is a rest day and I hope that come long run Sunday this doubt is GONE.

9 comments:

MNFirefly said...

(((Michelle)))You are doing so great with the training. I am so sorry that it's getting you down.

Phil said...

If I had a cure for the training blues, I'd be rich. As a outsider following your training, all I see is great progress. Your swimming is the best it's ever been and your pace on your shorter runs is killer (8:46!). Finally, I don't have a clue how you do it on that spinning thing you use to ride your bike in-doors. The fact that you are able to do it all is remarkable. I couldn't spend that much time going nowhere. You are a fantastic athlete.

Hang in there. Spring is coming ... and this feeling will pass.

Unknown said...

It's normal to have doubts. If you didn't doubt from time to time you wouldn't make the adjustments that lead to those awesome training days that chase all the doubts away. You're human, not a machine. Sometimes the negative pushes itself in front of the positive. But the awesome athlete that you have proven yourself to be will shove it back and shine.

Lance Notstrong said...

Never question yourself this early in your training. You're not suppose to be ready now, that's why it's a "long training program". I did the same thing after a 12 mile run in the first 1/3 of my marathon training. Follow the plan, you can do it!!!

Allez said...

I have that Spinervals dvd. Its a tough one!

Kate said...

It seems like a lot of us are feeling like this at the moment- winter, work, injuries, all these things making life tough!

We all just need to hang in there, keep supprting each other, and persevere!

TriShannon said...

It is definitely early in the training season... lots of time to build to where you need to be. Try not to let these more difficult, "bad" days get to you. You are making progress and that is what counts!

Laurie said...

Hey Michele..Every other post on my Blog is about me doubting myself. AT least you have a goal. I just kinda train randomly. I say I'm gonna do some tri's this year, but the doubt is taking over because I feel like I am getting nowhere with it. Don't worry. I think you are awesome and you inspire me.

TriSonq said...

I think I have doubts on a weekly basis. The weather is definately playing with our heads. Once it starts warming up, the juices will start flowing again.

Even though you are doubting, you still did your training. Much props to you!