Thursday, March 22, 2007

Mental Toughness Day

Today was all about mental toughness. That is not the way I planned it but that is how it turned out.
Yesterday was suppose to be a rest day but I went to toning class at 5:30am and swim class at 6:30pm. They were both tough workouts. In toning she asked everyone what they wanted to work again and legs and abs won so we did a lot of both. Then in swim class, the first half of class was side swimming with fins and the second half was pull. My arms were toast when I was done.
This morning I dropped the kids at school and went to the rec center. The schedule called for a 90 minute run and 3 x 400 swim. I ran through town then headed out 41 highway. I was not feeling the love. I wanted to quit and just chalk it up as a bad day but I convinced myself that this would be good mental toughness training. The run at the Gulf Tri isn’t going to be about speed and I won’t be feeling any better that day then I did today. I ran slowly!! When I got to the store at 6 miles I turned and headed back, into the wind. The plan said to pick it up for the last 15 minutes. I had nothing left. I finished my 90 minutes at the top of the hill where Old Stone Fort Restaurant is. 9.21 mils, 9:52 pace. I could run a step farther. So I walked the 0.72 miles back to my car. It was beautiful out and I tried to focus on that but all I could think of is how bad I hurt and hoping to see someone drive by that would pick me up. I made it back to the rec center in 11:47, that is an amazing 16:28 pace!! I got my backpack and went inside to change. The plan said to have even splits on all 3 of the 400s. So I swam slow and really worked on my form. I got the even splits but each 400 took 8:30. Mental toughness!!!

9 comments:

Joe said...

Mental toughness days make the good workout days more special. For that reason, I cherish the mental toughness days (although I sure don't like having a number of them in a row!).

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

I find it amazing that you are just now having a bad day! You knock each day out with little or no problem day after day...if I were training for a half iron, I would have already had a number of these I'm sure. Great job - way to stick it out. There will definitely be payoffs for it come Gulf Coast time!!!

Joe said...

I second what Lana said. Your work ethic these last few weeks has been astonishing. I wish I could keep up!

Unknown said...

Great job gutting out a tough day. It is great mental training for when races go sideways on you. Best part...there is always tomorrow's workout to get it back.

Phil said...

Hey ... you got through it! The brain is really funny. Some mornings I don't feel like running at all, but after 2 or 3 miles, the blood warms up and I feel great. Other mornings I start off ready to take on the world, only to crap out after 8 or 9 miles. Funny how that works.

Great workout.

Unknown said...

Way to go, toughing it out. You've got serious will and grit. Keep on inspiring and keep on training.

Lance Notstrong said...

Mental toughness is good. I think it's MORE than 1/2 the battle.

Dances with Corgis said...

Good job working on the mental toughness factor, that will definately come up in a race. Way to go! :)

TriShannon said...

The mental toughness days are what make the good days seem so good... we need them to keep perspective and grow.

Hopefully you rebound quickly!