Sunday, March 25, 2007

Perfect Spring Day

Friday was a scheduled long swim but the rec center closed the pool “for maintenance”. I didn’t worry about it much since Wednesday was a scheduled rest day and I swam. Even swap??
Saturday was a scheduled rest day. Two rest days in a row?? I didn’t know what that would do it me for the big event scheduled for today, but I didn’t really have much choice.
Today, Sunday, was all three events back to back as race prep. 30 minute swim, 2 hour ride and 30 minute run.
I told EVERYONE the plan and actual got some people who wanted to participate. Joe met me at the pool when they opened at 1:00. We each got a lane and swam our 30 minutes. After the third time Joe lapped me, I quit counting. I swam 1550 yards. I had to flag Joe down to let him know time was up and we headed out to the parking lot. Tracy, Gary, and Leslie were waiting on us. Joe and Leslie took off and we never saw them again. Gary hadn’t been on his bike in 4 month and was just enjoying the day. Tracy and I would loop back and get him before each turn to let him know where to go. He decided about 1 hour into the ride that he had had enough and headed home. So Tracy and I continued on our ride. I was able to say aero most of the ride, which is HUGE for me. I left Tracy at her road and went back to the rec center to find Joe waiting on me for the run. I rode 32.68 miles in 1:59:52, average speed of 16.3 (Joe and Leslie averaged 19.1). Joe and I ran the greenway and town. The park was packed since it was such a nice day (mid 80’s and sunny) and Joe and I laughed at ourselves, knowing that people didn’t understand the ridiculous clothing we were wearing. I had to do a lap of the packing lot to get in all 30 minutes and ended up with 3.32 miles, 9:02 pace.
I am happy with how I felt and with the distances covered for each leg of the workout. The weather was beautiful and I had great friends to hang out with.
When I got home the kids were dying to get in the pool. I had turned the heater on Friday afternoon and they were sure that 71 degrees was plenty warm to swim.
They swam for a lot longer then I thought they would considering how cold the water was, but then they huddled by the fire.

Lana did her first trail race Saturday, I don’t know when she will get around to posting about it but she did awesome!!! Then today she took her son out on their road bikes and he was able to climb Cracker Barrel Hill (it is a short but VERY steep hill). Stop by and tell her and Briar congrats!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic workout. I've done those at the gym, myself, and I always love the looks I get from folks who see me wearing the same clothing from the pool to the bike to the run.

jen said...

Great job michele!!! It sounds like you had a fun day doing all your favorite stuff. Way to go- you are in great shape!

Those are cute pictures of the kids, how sweet! :)

Joe said...

> Lana did her first trail race Saturday

Hey Michele, what's the deal? Why weren't you in that race? I thought you two went in every race together? When I read Lana's race report I thought "Oh, I can't wait to read Michele's race report."

Bad, bad girl. ;-)

Anonymous said...

It was a great day to be outside. I even got a 12 mile ride in....getting closer to signing up.

Lance Notstrong said...

Nice practice tri......good distances.

Unknown said...

Great workout! People who have never done a long-course triathlon know just how big a deal it is to ride for two hours and stay in the aero position. Great job!

Phil said...

You've got kids swiming already! Out here on the desert, the water temp needs to feel like bath water before anyone will venture into the pool.

Another great workout. You're in tremendous shape.