Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Taking it to the Streets

I have arranged my work schedule around my training this month. Gotta love the flexible job. So today I dropped the kids at school and worked from 8-11. I realized on the way from work to the rec center that I forgot my swim workout and being the slave to the schedule that I am, I could NOT just improvise. So I went home first. I changed, got my schedule, and went to the pool.
The schedule called for 2 x 75 with last 25 of each backstroke, 2 x 600, and 150. I did it all in 30:40. I must admit it wasn’t the best swim but it was ok.
On my way home, I decided it was warm enough to ride outside. I changed and took it to the streets. The plan called for 75 minutes with some hills. I did the Star Tri route and added a loop at the end to extend it a little. I ended up riding almost 20 miles in about 1:17. Again not my best effort, but it sure was nice to be outside and I fear I would not have even fished if I had done it on the trainer.
I took a quick shower and went and got the kids from school. My daughter had gymnastics, so after dropping her off my son and I went grocery shopping. Then it was home to fix diner and do homework. We had a little bit of daylight left so went outside. My daughter decided she wanted to learn how to ride her bike. She insisted I take the training wheels off. I tried to convince her she wasn’t ready but she is pretty hard headed. So I took them off and figured that after a few falls she would be begging me to put them back on. To my surprise, she rode her bike without training wheels the very first try. I got in an extra jog while running along side of her in case she fell. But she went up and down the street tons of time and never fell. Now she hasn’t mastered turning around but we can work on that tomorrow. Too bad my son has NO interest in learning to ride his bike.

12 comments:

Phil said...

Congratulations on riding your bike outside. Spring is really here (it's been here in Arizona for a month, but it's nice to see other parts of the continent warming up).

And a big congratulations to your daughter. I've never been a fan of "training" wheels. They really don't train you to do anything like riding a bike. Once the wheels get moving good ol' Newtonian physics takes over. It's not falling over, but the fear of falling over that they need to over come because angular momentum is very hard to explain to a child. It must look like pure magic. They just need to believe that it will work.

Unknown said...

A cycling prodigy...you must be so proud. I can still remember learning to ride my bike and you'll both have those great memories for the rest of your lives.

Lance Notstrong said...

Wow!!! First time with no tring wheels. I had to run up and down the street with my kids learning to ride.

Joe said...

Swimming, cycling, running, teaching cycling AND cooking dinner all on the same day? Are you Wonder Woman? OMG!

MNFirefly said...

Great job on the outdoor bike ride.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Nice going on the ride! And congrats to the young biker-girl!

Brooke said...

That's awesome. It's amazing that once kids decide to do something--they go do it. We had a very similar bike riding experience with my youngest daughter. She decided to ride it, and went and did it.

I wish I had that diligence.

TriShannon said...

How exciting... a little triathlete in the making.

Great swim and ride! Got to love getting back outside.

TJ said...

same thing with my daughter. she decided one day she was ready and that was it. it took her a while to get the turns down, but she was riding like a pro after a few days.

E-Speed said...

awwe I can't wait for weather nie enough for an outdoor ride!

Dubs said...

Now that is dedication - moving work around your workouts. But then again, with all you do (workout wise) I don't know how you fit it in without scheduling around it. Will be great to read how things go!

Keep us posted on your daughter! :)

Faithful Soles said...

Michele, I remember when my daughter (now 18) and son (now 14) first rode their bikes. That is an amazing experience. Once they started riding them regularly, I used to even get them to ride along with me on my 7-10 mile runs, and it was a great bonding time.

By the way, I wanted to thank you again for linking to our Blog Database on the main Faithful Soles web site. We now have bloggers from 37 states in the USA and 20 other countries. Thanks again and continued good luck in your training.