Thursday, March 01, 2007

Obstacles

Wednesday morning I got up at 4:30 to give the run another shot. I drove over to the Rec Center and ran the Greenway. I was really spooked for the first time ever. It just seemed really dark. I ran another disappointing 3.1 miles in 30 minutes then headed to toning class. She played really LONG songs and had us work one body part per song. It was a good work out but not my favorite. Then after work, being Wednesday, Lana and I went to triathlon swim class. I was very happy with my swim. I got my stroke count down and felt great. I swam 3100 yards.

This morning I set my alarm for 4:15. When I got up and walked into the bathroom, I could hear the rain hitting the skylight. Then a huge crash of thunder. I sent Joe a text message that I would not be there, reset my alarm clock, and went back to bed. At 5:30 I got up and went to the pool. When I got there all 3 lanes were being used. WTF, where did all these swimmer come from??? As I was getting my cap and goggles on, a guy got out of the center lane. I grabbed it and got started. After 250 yards, Joe came down. He had NOT gotten my text message. Boy did I feel bad. But he got his run in, I still had it to do. He jumped in my lane and proceeded to make me feel like I have made NO progress in swim class. I think he lapped me 3 times before Amy finished up in the first lane and I moved over. I ended up with 1200 yards in 30 minutes. I rushed home and got myself ready for work and the kids ready for school. It was crazy sock and crazy hair day. Any other day my son’s hair would have been standing up on end when he got out of bed but today it was nice and calm. I moosed it and got it standing straight up. We got to school, I took pictures, then rushed off to work. At 11:30, I got THE CALL. School was closing 2 hours early. OK, remember they have already been closed two days this week for illness and now today for weather (the rain). How are they ever going to make it through 1st and 2nd grades???

I still had the 60 minute run to get in. I thought about changing things around and doing tomorrow’s ride today but that would still make me a run short and this IS a run focused week. I wish I wasn’t such a slave to the plan. When Ronnie got home from work, I changed and went back to the rec center complaining the whole time. I HATE running on the track and it was not any more fun than the last time I had to do it. The only good thing is that it was not crowded. I got in my 60 minutes and ran 6.58 miles. The last lap (1/12th of a mile) I ran in 30 seconds. My shirt rubbed my arm raw, glad there isn’t a swim on the schedule anytime soon.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed that my kids can manage to stay in school all day tomorrow so that I can get in my work and my workout.

4 comments:

Phil said...

Your swimming is really improving isn't it. Very impressive. Don't beat yourself up for not wanting to go in the driving rain at 4:30 AM. I could hardly get myself out of bed this morning and there wasn't a cloud in the sky for 100 miles in any direction.

Remember, this is suppose to be fun.

Lance Notstrong said...

I keep telling myself what Phil said....."this is suppose to be fun". Sometimes it even works :-)

LoneStarCrank said...

Amazing that you always seem to get everything in!

Joe said...

You're certainly doing fabulous distance work in the pool! Do you ever do any swimming speed work?