Saturday, March 31, 2007

Too Busy

I have been a bad blogger.
This has been my longest training week yet. Plus there is still work and family. Something had to give. I will get catch up my blog then try to catch up reading.

Wednesday morning I got up at 4:20 and went to the rec center. It was 60 degrees and I thought that I would still need long sleeves. I got HOT. I ran the greenway and town 45 minutes with 30 second stride every 4:30. I did ok on my strides and picked up the pace but the 4:30s I ran slowly. I ended up with 4.54 miles and 9:54 pace overall. Then I went inside and did toning class.

Thursday morning I worked until 11:00, came home and ate a PB&J. By the time I got dressed and out the door it was almost noon and HOT. The schedule called for a 90 minute tempo run (15 minute warm up, 2 x 26t,4r and a 15 minute cool down). I ran the warm up nice and slowly knowing that as soon as it was over I had to pick up the pace for 26 minutes. So the warm up was 1.52 miles, 9:53 pace. As I started the first tempo effort, I passed the school and my daughter came running and yelling to me with her friends. It was great to have them cheering. I passed the school again on my way home and they yelled again. I finished strong. I ran 2.89 miles for a 9:00 pace. I jogged/walked home to my mailbox where I had put a bottle of ice water. I drank almost the whole thing and dumped the rest over my head. The second 26 minutes was a LOT harder. I was HOT and tired. I was thinking how I need a confidence builder not another mental toughness day. But confidence building was not in the cards so I just trotted along and finished my tempo effort with 2.71 miles, 9:36 pace. I got a bottle of Gatorade from my garage and chugged it down before the cool down. That 15 minutes I covered 1.36 miles, 11:04 pace. Once home I got another bottle of water and my bike. It felt great to be on my bike. All of a sudden it wasn’t so hot. I rode 7.92 miles in the 30 minutes required on the schedule. I passed the school again on my bike and a different class was outside but those kids all yelled hi to me as I rode by. I think I need to just run/ride back and forth in front of the school from now on. :) I had 40 minutes before school got out and I had promised my son’s teacher that if I had anytime I would come back and glue more stuff to the wall, so back to school I went.

Friday morning the schedule had a “race specific” swim.
Warm up 6 x 75, last 25 in each backstroke
Main 3 x 700 each at harder effort
Cool down 150 easy
They didn’t get the pool open until almost 6. I swam my warm up and then Lana got there. I chatted with her a minute then started on my 700s. After my second one I realized it was 6:40 and I had to get home. So I skipped that last 700 and the cool down. I have lost my watch so I don’t have any times.

Today is a rest day and tomorrow is another hard effort. Then next week will be the longest training week on the entire schedule and the kids are home on spring break. I will have lots of EARLY mornings next week.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Your programme sounds so cool, but it is really starting to make me doubt my ability to do half-IM training just yet.

You are absolutel amazing to fit all that in and still raise your kids so well!

MNFirefly said...

Nice job on the run and biking. I wish it would warm up a little bit...and more of the sun to peak out too.

Laurie said...

How do you do it??? Are you guys riding any this weekend or next?

Joe said...

Wow, you've been a real dynamo in your training of late. Great job!

> Main 3 x 700 each at harder effort

Do you mean, descending 1 to 3? That is, the second one is faster than the first one and the third one is faster than the second one?