Saturday, March 10, 2007

St Patrick’s Day 5k Race Report

First, some catching up.
I didn’t have a chance to get on the trainer until the kids went to bed at 8:00. So I put in the Spinervals Have Mercy DVD and got started. I ended up doing the entire 2 hours and was dead tired at the end. I fell into bed at 10:20.



I got up and went to the 5:30 toning class, worked from 8-11, then met Lana for a ride. We rode “3 hills”. I was really looking forward to riding with Lana to see how well all my hard trainer rides were paying off. Much to my amazement, I saw NO progress, Lana still smoked me. That route of hers was killer too. Then Wednesday evening it was back to Nashville for the swim class. She had us really focusing on technique and so we only swam 1450 but I was exhausted at the end.




I enjoyed this rest day




I worked until 11 again, ran a few errands, and then went to the pool. My swim went GREAT. I felt like I was on top of the water the whole time. All 6 of the 100 I did in 1:45. I finished all 1300 yards in 23:39. Then I changed and ran. It was beautiful and I got to run in a sleeveless shirt and a running skirt. I even got a little pink on my shoulders. My run wasn’t so great. It felt harder then it should have but I finished the hour and got in 6.51 miles, 9:13 pace.



Ok, now that I am caught up, I can get on with the race report.
The plan said:
Last night was my friend’s 40th birthday party so I was out until midnight and had a few too many beers. So when the alarm went off at 5:00 this morning I was not feeling too chipper. I got up anyway and went to the rec center to meet Lana and Amy for the ride. We decided on a route and got started. We ended up going a little too far, 28.48 miles in 1:56. Ronnie had dropped the kids off at the rec center on his way to golf so I went to tell them I was there and I would get them for their race after mine. My goal was to follow the plan and make this a recovery run and not a race. They changed the course this time and it turned out to be a little short, 2.77 miles. I ran it in 22:49, 8:14 pace. Good enough for 7th overall and 1st in my age group, not a big showing. Then they did the 1 mile fun run for the kids. I ran with my kids and they did really good. There were only 4 kids so they gave each of them a 3rd place award. The kids were excited. We left the race and went to Cracker Barrel where I undid the entire calorie burning of the morning, French toast with cherries and whipped cream.


***NOTE: Sorry Ellie. Lana, Amy, and I met to ride. No way could we run that far or fast. Lana had a coaches clinic for t-ball to go to so could not do the race and Amy got back to find out she had an emergency to deal with and didn't get to race either.

9 comments:

Ellie Hamilton said...

You get to train with Lana? COOL!!

Now, let me get this straight: You ran 28.48 miles in 1:56????
:-D Something's missing here...!!!

Great race, great pace, even if the course was short, you got in a run beforehand!

Joe said...

Great time even if it was a bit short. Hmmmn, everyone in Blogland seems to be eating french toast today.

Dubs said...

Wow - you have been busy!! Working out quite hard!

French toast.. mmmm, that sounds yummy. Great way to celebrate your race. Congrats on the placing!

Laurie said...

I wanted to be at that race today. Jessika's boyfriend had family in from Germany, so we ran here instead so she could get back. Awesome race time. I would not have come close! Hopefully I will get to meet you at the Cinco de Mayo 5k???

Phil said...

Nice set of workouts ... however, it's self defeating comparing yourself to someone else, especially Lana ... you're both getting stronger and are coming off a hard winter in great shape.

Brooke said...

French Toast with cherries...yummmm. I'm hungry for Cracker Barrel now.

This rec center of yours sounds awesome! I wish we had something like that here.

TriSonq said...

Nice run time. Congrats on placing. Kick Butt!

Are we ready for Tom King?

Looks like we'll have great weather.

jen said...

Wow, great job on the race after all that riding, and the week of hard workouts! You are awesome. Congrats on your AG Win!!

Rae said...

Very cool awards!! Great job on the race!!

Why didn't they have the St Pattys race on St Pattys day????