Saturday, August 23, 2008

Drivers and Dogs

Today I had a 100 mile ride scheduled. It so happened that the HOT100 was also today. But I have claimed next Saturday morning for the Star Tri and the following for the HOW100. So I passed on the HOT and let Ronnie play golf this morning. Gotta keep the peace just in case I ever want to do this again.
I head out at 12:30.
10 miles into my ride I was riding along and got up next to a pick up parked in a church parking lot. I heard a car behind. Then all of a sudden that car cuts me off to turn into the church. I slam on the brakes and over I go. The girls in the truck were putting out yard sale signs and came over to make sure I ok. Then another pick up comes up and asks if I am alright. I pick up my water bottle, assure the people I am ok and went to find the black car. One old lady was still getting out and I lit into her. Another women walks out of the church and the women I was informing she almost killed me points at the other lady and says "She was driving". So I let her have it to. She said "I didn't see you. Were you in the ditch?" I told her no I was on the road and she cut me off. And you know what she says?? "At least I didn't hit you." I was shaking I was so mad.
I put the anger to good use and hammered out some miles. My hand and elbow were killing me but no blood.
I must have missed a turn due to the lack of road signs so my pre planned route had to be adjusted on the fly. I had dog run in number one (of six) on the adjusted route. I learned that my 23 miles per hour to out run a dog theory was wrong. It took a good stretch at 25 to drop him.
I was almost home but still needed 4 miles, so I decided to add a loop. I heard a car behind, looked and saw it was pretty far back. So I stuck my arm out to signal I was making a left. I start into the turn and the car comes flying by me. I managed to stay upright that time.
I made it home without any more dog or driver encounters. 100.09 miles in 5:38. 17.7 average speed
totals for the week
swim 8500 yards
bike 140.81 miles
run 20.8
14:30 hours

3 comments:

Lisa said...

OH, don't get me started on the DANG Yard Sale people. They don't even see other cars while looking for sales much less people on bikes!
So GLAD you weren't hurt too bad.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are ok... You are the second person this week I have heard of getting cut off.

Laurie said...

I did the M'Boro Hot 100, but it wasn't hot... and I didn't do 100. I did 33. ;) I am glad you're ok!